Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Short Mat

Hard to believe but the end of the outdoor season is fast approaching (only 6 weeks away!), so it’s time to think about your winter bowling entertainment. I am therefore inviting all members to enter the Short Mat Leagues and Knockout competitions, which will begin again on Friday 13 October 2023. 

As usual we will be playing the Pairs League on Friday evenings starting at 7.00pm and I anticipate that there will again be 2 divisions, playing alternate weeks. Format will remain as 2 woods per player over 15 ends. Players should enter as pairs, but if you don’t have a partner, I will try to match you with another unattached player. Failing that you can put your name down as a reserve – you may find you get almost as many games this way!

Triples League games will be played on Wednesday evenings fortnightly, though this may vary slightly due to skittles matches. The format is 12 ends, 2 woods per player. Again, you should enter as a team, but I will try to match single entries together. 

Towards the end of the season we will play the knockout competitions, normally on Friday evenings, but may be arranged for other days, if not enough spare slots are available. The format of 2 sets, with a tie break end, which I introduced last season was very popular, so will continue. 

The club also enters the county’s Winter League (format is 2 rinks of 4), so we need players to sign up for that as well. We are currently in the 2nd division usually play 2 games per month, home and away and need at least 12 signed on to cover absences etc. I try to make sure that everyone who signs on gets a fair share of games.

All fixtures will be posted on the noticeboard and the club calendar and I will produce fixture lists for the regular games. 

If you need the practice or to get your eye in, the regular Monday and Wednesday afternoon roll-ups will be starting as soon as the outdoor season has finished: the first sessions will be on Monday 25 September and Wednesday 27 September.

Entry forms are available at the club now or you can download a copy via the link below. When you have filled them in, you should place them in the box behind the bar together with the appropriate fees, if paying cash (you can also pay by card), or hand them to me. 

Andy Todd

Short Mat organiser

TRIPLES LEAGUE

Year Winner Runner Up

2022-23

Mike Newman, Ramon Riera & Andy Todd

David Hearle, Bernard Plain & Don Hughes

2021-22

Mike Newman, Ramon Riera & Andy Todd

David Hearle, Bernard Plain & Don Hughes

2020-21

No Competition (Covid)