Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Thought for Today

by Revd Canon David White

28th April 2024 - 5th Sunday of Easter

Last week’s Gospel reading from St John had an agricultural flavour (the work of the shepherd); this week’s is much more horticultural (pruning vines). Now in our garden pruning is not something I do – it being way above my pay grade. I’m more the ‘labourer in the vineyard’, though as we don’t have a vineyard where I live, my main work at the moment is to cut the grass on two small lawns and one larger one. Some people have told me that they hate mowing their lawn. I enjoy it! I’m quite methodical when I do it and I get into a rhythm of to and fro, back and forth, round and round, and my brain goes into a different gear so that I think and reflect on all sorts of things – I’ve even been known to pray.

When in the library recently I came across an article in a magazine which claimed that repetition is a powerful influence upon us. Our brains are apparently drawn to patterns and familiarity, which leaves lasting imprints in our minds. Repetition creates well-worn pathways that guide our beliefs and behaviours.

To practise our faith in God involves much repetition – in prayers, in readings, in liturgy, in actions. Even the cycle of the seasons of the church are repeated year by year. This is never dull but provides freedom to develop our lives, our minds and our inner selves and draws us closer to God our creator and redeemer. And just think, with some application, even cutting the lawn can be holy!