Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Helen's Story

Helen Helen

Helen’s Story

My name is Helen, I am 28 years old and I am a children’s nurse, working on a busy hospital assessment unit. At the beginning of this year,      I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which is a long-term condition, which causes me to have pain all over my body.  It causes a wide range of symptoms most notably a high sensitivity to pain and fatigue. Lack of sleep and stress are just two of the exacerbating factors. I also have hypermobility and Raynaud’s (a circulatory problem) which can also cause me pain and mobility problems.

At the time that I was diagnosed I would have occasional flare-ups but I could get back to my normal routine within a day or so with minimal pain. I did not understand the full significance of the diagnosis at this point. As a nurse and work shifts, which are 12.5 hours long, and at the time of my diagnosis I was working up to 50 hours a week. In May 2016 I had to call in sick for a flare-up, little did I know how bad a flare-up it would turn out to be. Before the end of that day, I was in tears due to the pain and had to crawl up my stairs to bed. The following day I was still in pain and felt utterly drained, this continued through the rest of the week. Not only had I been off from work I also missed a planned trip to visit my sister.  It was at this point that I realised how much this condition could affect my life. I was off sick from work for a further 2 months as I attempted to strengthen myself, improve my stamina, and reduce my pain levels. I found that the physio exercises I had from before the flare were too much for my body to cope with and had to reduce the amount I did and had to manage my day-to-day tasks so as not to exacerbate my pain and fatigue. Discussing my problems with my physiotherapist, we worked out a management plan that involved tailoring my routines to how I felt on the day. She also suggested I contacted St George’s Community Hydrotherapy Pool to allow me to strengthen my core muscles. I had tried to go swimming in a public swimming pool, but the pool was too cold and set off my Raynaud’s.

My first visit was a public physiotherapy session everyone was very welcoming and friendly. As I took the gentle steps into the pool the warmth washed over me, it felt wonderful. I met the physiotherapist and was given a number of exercises. I felt tired after this session but was determined to get back to work as soon as possible so I booked myself in for two sessions a week at the pool.

My first ‘public’ session came and I was eager to get in the warm water. 30 minutes later, I had completed the exercises I was given but was very tired. After a month of going to the sessions, I felt much stronger and was feeling less tired after sessions. I attended another physiotherapy session at the pool, which gave me some new exercises to try. I continued to go twice a week and a month later, I felt strong enough to start back at work. Work was very helpful at creating a phased return to ensure I was ready to go back. I am now back at work on a part-time contract but continuing on 12.5 hour shifts.

I am very grateful to all the staff at St George’s Hydrotherapy for working hard to create such a welcoming and supportive environment, which has helped me get back to work. I still go to St George’s every 1-2 weeks and continue to strengthen myself. It is not only the staff but also the users, which make St George’s such a pleasant environment to visit. I know that my regular visits to St George’s Hydrotherapy Pool are helping me manage my fibromyalgia and allowing me to continue working at the hospital.