Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Chairman's Monthly update

May 2024

Firstly, I would like to thank the Parish Clerk Andy for compiling last month’s article while I was away travelling. After over a month away, it was great to return to Temple Ewell and see all the trees in leaf although I must admit pretty much everything in the garden was overgrown. It was good to get out walking in the hills around the village reminding me of what a special location we live in.

I understand that while I was away, despite one or two hiccups matters proceeded smoothly regarding Parish Council.

The proposed project for the embankment adjoining Lorna’s Hairdressers continues to encounter delays. Firstly, Kent County Council are being quite unreasonable in their request for £ 400.00 to just allow us to plant the embankment, particularly as we will be maintaining it from now on. We have established that the ground will allow the proposed planting but just need further discussions with County Council to clear a reasonable route forward. We still hope to be able to carry out the planting around the end of June.

The unpleasant problem of dog waste has reared its head once again and we would like to remind you all that dog waste should be placed in the “Red Bins” and not put in the normal litter bins on King George V Playing Field as these bins are provided by the Parish Council solely for litter.

On a related matter, dog walkers in Dragon Wood and the fields immediately above will have noticed additional signage that has been placed there by DDC. There will now be patrols by Dog Wardens in this area who will enforce and fine those that fail to pick up dog waste.

Our Annual Village Meeting took place at the end of April and we would like to thank firstly, Rob Philpott who gave an informative presentation regarding Beekeeping and the local diversity of plants that helps to support these vital pollinators. We would also like to thank the village organisations that submitted reports.

There are a number of village events that are approaching. 

The first of these is the Commemoration of the 80th Anniversary of D-Day on the 6th June. Although few of the veterans are left, it is still important to remember the bravery and sacrifice of those that were involved in the landings on the Normandy beaches ; marking the beginning of the end of Hitler’s tyrannical rule over much of Europe. In the village on this evening the church bells will be rung and the village beacon will be lit at sunset.

Soon afterwards is the first village boot fair on the 9th June, organised by Temple Ewell School PTFA as a fundraiser. This will be held in the King George V Playing Field and is not only a good opportunity to dispose of unwanted items but also the chance to pick up a bargain. 

Later in June will be the village/school Summer Fete which is open to all.

Please look out for details of these events.

It is time for me to get the mower and strimmer out and try to get that garden under control. I look forward to writing to you again next month.

Glenn Mousley - Chairman of Parish Council, Temple Ewell

Glenn Mousley - Parish Council Chairman Glenn Mousley - Parish Council Chairman