Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

January 2023, on Geoffrey de Havilland

TALES FROM THE HILLS

(Ashmansworth and Crux Easton)

In 1911, the following letter from Crux Easton appeared in The Times:

“Sir,

Now that aviation in its balloon, airship and plane forms is making remarkable progress in many countries, I beg respectfully to make what I consider a solemn suggestion. There is a clause in the Litany used by the Church of England which is as follows: ‘That it may please Thee to preserve all that travel by land or by water.’ Has not the time arrived when one may hope that the words may be altered, or rather added to, so as to read: ‘That it may please Thee to preserve all that travel by land, water, or by air’? May one further hope that the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope, and the head of the Greek Church may simultaneously give instructions for the addition to that beautiful form of prayer? If so, they would, I venture to think, be doing an act of entente cordiale throughout the Church universal. 

“My suggestion cannot possibly be looked on as ‘controversial’ and so could surely be adopted without hesitation. I am afraid that I must plead personal interest as being the origin of my suggestion, which has arisen owing to my son having taken up aviation and being now at the War Office Balloon Factory at Farnborough.” 

Signed Charles de Havilland, Rector of Crux Easton, Hants.

Besides displaying a natural concern for his son, the rector shows far-sightedness about the growth of air travel, and its dangers. He also shows an early and admirable desire for ecumenism among the Christian churches.

Curiously, The Times published the rector’s prescient letter long before his son Geoffrey became known as a great pioneer in aviation.

Though it was still called the ‘War Office Balloon Factory’, it was also a mecca for fixed-wing flying contraptions of every kind, with an appallingly high mortality rate among the brave inventors who flew them. The phrase goes ‘On a wing and a prayer’ and those pioneers certainly needed all the prayers they could get.

Agricola, January 2023

Geoffrey de Havilland Geoffrey de Havilland