Bloxham Bowls Club
Below is a link to the Bowls England website for new bowlers and helpful hints for new and existing bowlers.
Club Dress Code
Club Matches should be played in either white or grey skirt or trousers below the waist and club shirt, with flat shoes. White or grey will be posted on the fixture card and match availability sheet.
Club competitions should be played in greys with white top or club shirt with approved flat shoes; this also applies to markers. Club finals will be played in whites.
New members in their first year will be allowed to play in whatever clothing they have that comes close to the above requirements, but will be expected to have the regulation wear in subsequent year
The National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of Flat Green Lawn Bowls in England.
Hints for Beginners
- Players should use the steps provided (if any) when going on or off the Bowling Green.
- Bowls should not be dropped on the Green
- Do not stand on the verges
- No smoking on the green.
- Bowls should not be kicked in until the shot has been decided
- After delivering a Bowl, a player should either retire behind the mat or advance to the head. He should not take up a position in between.
- Don't delay the game.
- Don't wander around or move about the head when a player is about to deliver a Bowl.
- In a Fours game, the Skipper keeps the score but can, with the agreement of the opposing Skipper, delegate it to another player, but both teams must then use the same position as scorer; in a Pairs and Triples game the 'Skip' keeps the score.
- Bowling is a friendly game and all players should show courtesy and good sportsmanship.
- All Bowlers should have an understanding of the Rules as laid down by Bowls England.
- Mobile Phones should not be used on or around the green.
- Dress appropriately and ensure that you know the dress code for each game or match in which you are participating. Do not show disrespect for your opponent(s) by arriving late, ensure that you leave sufficient time to change before the game.
- If you are representing the club on another bowling green you should remember that you are an ambassador for Bloxham Bowling Club - behave appropriately.
- Do not walk across rinks that other people are using and do not stand or sit on the banks while waiting to play. Introduce yourself and shake hands with your opponent(s) both before play commences and after the game is complete.
- During the game do not move around the head when your opponent is about to deliver his bowl.
- Stand well back from the head, keep quiet and do not do anything that would distract your opponent. Wait until the bowl has been delivered before moving.
- If you are at the same end as the player delivering a bowl you must stand behind the mat thus staying out of the player's line of vision. Bear in mind that some people like to see the rink boundary markers and the centre pin while playing so make sure that you are not obscuring them. On sunny days you must also ensure that your shadow does not fall on the jack.
- Spectators who are in the player's line of vision should also keep still while bowls are being delivered and they should not distract players on the green. For example if you need to arrange a game with another member don't try to do this while he is playing someone else!
- We are privileged to have one of the best bowling greens in the area. Look after it! Don't drop your bowls onto the green and ensure that your delivery is not causing scuff marks or otherwise damaging the green.
- Place litter and cigarette ends in the bins provided.