Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Cury Parish Council

Home

The Parish of Cury

Cury is a rural Parish and lies just inland of the Atlantic coast on the western side of the Lizard Peninsula in West Cornwall.  The Parish is divided into four hamlets: Nantithet, White Cross, Cross Lanes and Churchtown, together with a large area of farmland on the Southern side of the road to Gunwalloe.  The Parish covers 1143 hectares in area and has approximately 400 residents.

Being a rural Parish made up of four small settlements, Cury lacks a defined centre and has few services and shops.  There are no hotels, but there are several self-catering establishments, Bed and Breakfasts and Camping Sites.  Since the original Plan was published, the only Village Shop has closed.

Cury is principally a farming community, with small family run farms.  Before milk quotas, dairy farming was predominant but now local farmers have diversified into vegetable, flower, beef and sheep production.

The Lizard Peninsula lies within the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and the Parish is blessed with both beautiful surrounding countryside and nearby picturesque beaches and secluded coves of the Lizard Peninsula, such as Poldhu Cove and Church Cove, Gunwalloe, all of which are vital to our tourist industry.

A Brief History

In historical terms, the 11th Century church is dedicated to St. Corentyn and has many interesting features.  The present Methodist Church was built in 1890 for the Wesleyans, costing at the time £700 to build.  It was refurbishes in 1993.

The Village Hall was originally a mess hut at the old RNAS Mullion (a World War 1 Airship Station) and was moved to its present site in the Parish at White Cross in 1921.  Several organisations meet at the hall on a regular basis, including the Women’s Institute, children’s groups and, since the closure of the Village Shop, the post office is held here on a Thursday morning.  Events such as whist drives and bingo are held monthly and shows, such as the village show, annually.  A local theatrical group hosts productions and weekly exercise classes are also now held in the Hall.

In May 1967, a new Church of England school was opened.  This was the third school for Cury, and is the present Primary School. 

There were originally 14 wind turbines producing electricity at nearby Bonython.  These have recently been replaced by six larger turbines.  They are a prominent feature on the landscape near Goonhilly Earth Station, a small section of which lies within the Parish of Cury.

Amenities

The lack of facilities in the Parish means that many residents travel to, e.g. nearby Mullion or Helston for shops, services and employment.  Current facilities in Cury include:

White Cross

  • Village Hall
  • Methodist Chapel
  • Communal Herb Box, telephone kiosk and post box

Cross Lanes

  • Wheel Inn Pub

Churchtown

  • Church
  • Cury Primary School
  • Jubilee Playing Field, Play equipment and Football Ground