Gosport Bowling Club was founded in 1925 with one Green - a second Green was added in 1977. In 1992 the Club was privatised and a lease was prepared by the Club Officers and Gosport Borough Council - this made the Club responsible for the maintenance of the Clubhouse interior and the Council responsible for the exterior and the Greens. Ronald Sellwood, a member of long standing, passed away leaving his entire estate to the Gosport Bowling Club. The 'Ron Sellwood Pavillion' was built from this legacy.
The site of the Club is on reclaimed land where once there was a creek (known as Kings Bottom).