Welcome to our website, developed thanks to Bowls England's partnership with Hugo Fox which provides a free and easy-to-use template for bowls clubs. Haywards Heath & Beech Hurst Bowls Club is a friendly mixed club, affiliated to Bowls England and Sussex County Bowls. We currently have some 65 playing members as well as over 30 family and social members. The Club plays around 70 home and away friendly mixed matches and 8-10 ladies matches every season (late April till late September) against other clubs within a 15-20 miles’ radius; we also enter teams in the Mid Sussex and John Spriggs Leagues (mixed), the Nellie Mercer League (Ladies) and in various national, county and other competitions.
The Club plays in the delightful setting of Beech Hurst Gardens, with the miniature railway running around the green and views as far as the South Downs. Our green – which is maintained by contractors appointed by Mid Sussex District Council - is highly regarded and frequently the venue for the Sussex County Ladies competitions finals. The Club has a bar, runs regular social events through the year and can accommodate one short mat used for internal leagues over the winter.
The Club welcomes membership enquiries from new or previous bowlers, and has several qualified coaches who can help people just starting to play and those looking to improve. For more information, please visit the Membership page of this site. We’d be delighted to hear from you!
We are also glad to receive approaches for matches from clubs who may be arranging a bowls tour in Sussex.
HISTORY OF THE CLUB
Haywards Heath & Beech Hurst Bowls Club was established in 1977 from the merger of two previously separate clubs, Haywards Heath BC and Beech Hurst BC, which had played on adjacent greens in Beech Hurst Gardens and shared the same Clubhouse from 1954, when Beech Hurst Gardens were opened as a public recreation area. Beech Hurst BC was newly formed at that time but Haywards Heath BC – whose green until 1953 was at the top of New England Road - already had a long history, having been founded in 1905. The Gardens had been part of the Beech Hurst Estate before being gifted in trust to Cuckfield Urban District Council - the predecessor of MSDC - in 1950 for the benefit of local people; MSDC now administers the trust and the gardens.
The original shared clubhouse was constructed from a Beech Hurst estate stable / piggery, the pitched, tiled roof of which can still be seen at the centre of the clubhouse in use today. The latter has been extended twice in the last 25 years, first to create a bigger bar and improved changing facilities, and subsequently to extend the tea / dining room; meanwhile a new kitchen was fitted by a small group of our members in early 2016. We now have an excellent facility that members and visiting bowlers enjoy. The Club owns the Clubhouse building but leases the land on which it is situated.
The Club is most grateful for the on-going financial support provided for several years now by our principal sponsors, Silverman Field, Wealth Management Advisers (see attached advertisement). We are also grateful for the generous donations recently made by Anchor Lifestyle Developments, which funded the purchase of sets of bowls for coaching purposes and other bowling equipment and by Renaissance Retirement towards the Club's 40th anniversary celebrations in 2017 and to P&S Gallagher Funeral Directors for paying for new scorecard holders and providing a regular supply of scorecards.