Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

FAQ

How do I enter the HBT5?

Enter online here: https://racesignup.co.uk/site/event.php?eventid=4246

Where can I find a paper entry form?

The vast majority of runners now enter online. We have therefore decided to discontinue postal entries. Please enter online.

When do entries close?

We close entries the Thursday before the race or when the race entry limit of 300 is reached.

Can I enter on the day?

No. In order to simplify the admin we no longer allow entries on the day.

Why is the age limit set at 15?

The HBT5 is licenced under UKA rules. The lower age limit for five mile races is set at 15. For under 15's we also hold a 2K fun run.

Can I get a refund?

We do not provide refunds, but we do allow transfer of entry to another runner.

What facilities do you provide?

Free car parking (donations appreciated), toilets, changing rooms, showers. There are also bacon butties, home made cakes and hot drinks available for purchase.

Is the course hilly?

We refer to it as "undulating". The last mile is all down hill though :-)

When will I receive my number?

Numbers will be posted out in April.

Is the race chip timed?

No. We use old school stop watches. This reduces our costs and hence enables us to donate more money to charity.

Is the course accurately measured?

No. This is a multi-terrain course, with steep inclines and occasional fallen trees. It would be impractical to use a measuring wheel. We use GPS to get an approximate measure. With over 150m of ascent, it is unlikely to be a PB course!  

What shoes should I wear?

Choice of shoe will depend on the weather leading up to race day. The course can vary from very wet and muddy to dry and rutted. The entire course is offroad, but there is a concrete section near the start and finish, hence it is not suitable for spikes, but trail shoes or studs should be fine.

Why are the male and female age categories different?

The race is categorised as multi-terrain under UKA rules. As such, age categories align with road races.

Why would a W35+ prize be awarded to a W55 entrant?

We award prizes to the first person above the minimum age of the category. In this example, the W55 finished before all W35 and W45 runners not already in receipt of a prize. Only one prize per person is allowed, except for first villager and king and queen of the hill.

Can I enter the Fun Run online?

Yes you can! Here: https://racesignup.co.uk/site/event.php?eventid=3228

Will Fun Run numbers be posted

No. Please collect them from Race HQ between 0900 and 1030 on race day.

Is there an age limit for the Fun Run?

No. However, the race is aimed at under 15s. Any children under 6 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Is the course suitable for buggies, pushchairs or wheelchairs.

No. The course is steep with uneven surfaces.

May I run with a dog?

No. The course is narrow in places with tight turns and some two-way sections.

Is it possible to reconnoitre the course in advance?

No. Some of the course is on private land with no public right of way. Please respect the wishes of the landowners who kindly give us permission to hold the race every year.