Home
The civil parish of Tiddington-with-Albury encompasses the villages of Tiddington and Milton Common, along with the settlements/hamlets of Albury and Draycot, forming a small but distinct rural community within the South Oxfordshire district. The Parish Council is the first and most local tier of government, working on behalf of all who live and work in the parish since its establishment in 1894.
Tiddington-with-Albury's History
The Parish has had a complicated historical development. The present Parish of Tiddington-with-Albury was only created in 1932 from the amalgamation of the two civil parishes of Albury, where the parish church is, and Tiddington. This present situation reflects an earlier 11th Century state when both were combined.
The presence of rare, worked flints confirm that there was human activity in the Parish from at least the Bronze Age. The earliest evidence of formal occupation is at Milton Common, where Romano-British occupation and structures have been proven through excavations at Camp Corner and on the course of the M40. This occupation is likely to be associated with the Roman road running across The Parish that connected the Roman town of Dorchester with Fleet Marston on Akeman Street.
Both the names Aldeberie (old burgor, a fortified place) and Titendene (the hill of Tytta) are Old English in origin and are considered to date probably from the 6th Century.
Otherwise, the written history of both Albury and Tiddington can be traced back to the Domesday Book when the first records of the two manors, in the possession of William FitzOsbern and Sawold respectively, appear. At that time Tiddington was only a hamlet within Albury, the main settlement.
From Medieval times until the 19th Century The Parish remained a small rural community that was variably divided between different major landowners, mostly remote from it.