What are 'Men's Sheds'?
The shed concept began in Australia in the mid 90's. There was a realisation that older men encountered a number of health and well-being issues, that could, in part, be attributable to social isolation. In more down to earth terms, when we retire we can lose a significant network of friends and colleagues. Sometimes it is difficult to fill the gap that loss of connection can leave.
Whenever men get involved in activities there is a lot of sharing of experiences. That mentoring mindset is often nurtured by the way working men (in any type of work) share information to help them be more effective in the workplace. This becomes the basis of social interaction which isn't lost just because one enters retirement.
So the idea of a place where men - particularly retired men - can come together that recreates the positive aspects of a working environment was established. Since then the movement has spread across the globe and here in the UK there are over 500 sheds providing enjoyment for almost 5000 members.
What sort of people are we looking for?
We would hope to encourage a friendly social atmosphere where anyone would feel welcome to come along and join in. There are of course exceptions, we are not set up to deal with vulnerable people and we aren't intending to be a care provider so individuals need to be self managing. Neither are we presenting ourselves as teachers or experts - although the sharing of ideas and skills will undoubtably be a valuable part of working together in our 'shed'.
So, if you think you might enjoy being part of the York Men's Shed get in contact with us or just turn up and have a chat.
York Council have assisted our start up by providing us the use of the old wardens hut in Hull Road Park.
It is in the centre of Hull Road Park in York. Nearest bus is the Number 6 and get off on Alcuin Avenue by Flaxman Avenue.
We are open on Tuesdays & Saturday , a morning session running from 09:30 to 12:30 .
What is a Men’s Shed?
- A larger version of the typical Men’s Shed in the garden!
- A group of men working on projects of their own choosing at their own pace and in safe, friendly and inclusive venue.
- Somewhere to feel at home, have a laugh, socialise, pursue practicalinterests and stay active!
- A place to capture and pass on skills and craftsmanship between each other.
- The Shed can also be a place to come and sit for awhile, have a chat over acup of tea, or play a game of darts.
What is a Men’s Shed is not...
- A formal training programme but you may gain new knowledge and skills.
- A health programme but your health and wellbeing may improve.
- A service for men but activities organised by men.
- An information service but you can ask for the information you need.
- A sports club but you could play sports.
How to find us
By Bus (example timetable)