Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Disability Bowls

Club Accessibility  

We welcome new members of all ages and abilities, and in case you have mobility issues, or anything that might affect your bowling, here is some information about our disabled- friendly bowls club.

• 3 disabled car parking spaces a short walk from the clubhouse
  • Step-free access from the car park into the bowls complex, although a slight slope once through the gate
  • 2 greens with step-free access to both. Steps and wheelchair ramp for accessing the rinks
  • Step-free access into the pavilion for seating, bar and kitchen
  • Disabled toilet in the pavilion
  • Step-free access throughout the complex
  • 2 wheelchairs for use on the greens
  • Various items of equipment available – walking sticks, bowling aids etc

On Saturday mornings, a group called the All Ability Saturday club meets for coaching sessions with bowls International Daniel Adams and a small group of volunteers that help out.  The club takes place at the Griffin Bowls Club between 10.30 to 12.30 and is for young people up to the age of 18, and youngsters with extra needs up to the age of 25 with some discretion.  The focus is on learning to play bowls, building confidence and having fun!!!!  New members are always welcome, so do come and join us!!

Coaching for adults is also available from Daniel (International player and Level 2 Coach) at a cost of £3 per session. If you sign up to the club, you are entitled to 4 coaching sessions for free!

Contact Susan Chapman for more information: 07484670727         schapmanuk@yahoo.com

Testimonial

"As a man with Aspergers Syndrome and learning disabilities, I always found meeting people difficult. When I joined the Griffin Bowls Club at 18, in 2010, it changed my life.  I met very nice people and always enjoy playing in friendly matches and in competitions.  My confidence, my ability to deal with people and my communication skills have improved beyond recognition.  The encouragement from the Griffin Bowls Club has helped me reach levels I never thought possible.  I won gold in 2019 silver in 2022 for England in the Tri-Nations International tournament for people with learning disabilities!

I am now ambassador for Active Essex, for the 'Essex All Together' (disability) campaign and the 'Find Your Active' campaign.  I am also a Disability Bowls England Ambassador and the Learning Disability/Intellectual Disability rep for Disability Bowls England.

I recently completed my level 2 qualification in coach bowls and run weekly Saturday morning sessions with youngsters of all abilities as well as helping any member who wants some coaching.  My aim is to be a positive role model for children, and I have a passion to give back to the club and to the community of Harlow and Disability Bowls England."

Daniel Adams, April 2023