01/07/20 In accordance with the regulations We publish today the Council's Mandatory Declarations for the year 2019-20. The previous year has been archived as a sub-page on the Mandatory Declarations tab
30/06/20 Announcement concerning the Parish Field Playground
Whilst the Parish Field Playground has been closed in accordance with government guidance, the Parish Council has identified essential maintenance work which must be carried out to ensure the safety of the play equipment. Until that essential maintenance work has been completed and signed off by an independent safety inspection, the Playground will remain closed. Please do not enter the Playground or use the equipment until the Parish Council has announced that it is safe to do so. Thank you for your cooperation.
25/06/20 The latest version of the Parish Magazine has been published today. It covers July and August. Also Lester Gosbee's weather forecast for the coming week.
15/06/20 You may have noticed a number of NPS vans around the village. They are the contractors involved in installing our fibre broadband. Apparently, a number of links from where the main fibre passes houses to the house itself have already been installed. More information will be posted of the Community Fibre Broadband website www.frittendenbroadband.co.uk and on the village Facebook Page. We may get ultrafast broadband sooner than we expect it!
26/05/20 Please note The Parish Council Hardship Fund has been set up to support Frittenden residents who are suffering financial difficulties as a result of the lockdown. The authorising committee will be every Monday evening to consider applications for grants until the COVID-19 Restrictions and its effects have been lifted. Please speak to any member of the Parish Council or contact the Clerk to apply. All applications will be dealt with in strictest confidence and grants will be paid to successful applicants within a day or two of next Monday's meeting. Minutes of all our meetings are available here and agendas here
01/05/20 I have added an extra tab above - Upcoming Road Closures. This is temporary and will be removed when the work has been carried out
Weekly meetings of the Hardship Fund committee will be held via Zoom until further notice on Monday evenings at 7.30 pm. The authorising committee meet to consider applications for grants. Please speak to any member of the Parish Council or contact the Clerk to apply. All applications will be dealt with in strictest confidence and grants will be paid to successful applicants within a day or two of next Monday's meeting. Agendas for all Council meetings can be found here and please note the Parish Council meets once a month normally on a date between the 13th and the 20th of the month except in August
COVID-19 News from TWBC.
With the developing Coronavirus news, the decision has been made to suspend the Civic Amenity weekend service with immediate effect. I am sorry we are having to take these steps but the situation is unprecedented and seems to be changing day by day.
Kent County Council have also taken the decision to close the household waste and recycling sites throughout Kent
From today the children’s play area in the Parish Field will be closed and will remain closed until the Government relaxes the present restrictions.
The Parish Field remains open but please respect social distancing (2 metres apart minimum) at all times.
Please respect the health of our community
Welcome to the NEW Frittenden Parish Council Website. The website has been re-written as KCC are shortly to withdraw their support of Kent Parish Websites. We hope you like it! There are sections, we hope in an easy to read manner, on Agendas, Minutes of Meetings, Planning Applications. If there are items you'd like to see on the website please feel free to contact us using our Contact Form
Despite the fact that Frittenden is not specifically recorded in the Domesday Book (1086), though it is recorded in a Saxon Charter of 804. The den element of the name indicates that it was an area providing temporary pasture, probably from the 6th century, on an annual basis for swine driven down from a place in north Kent. This pasture would have been recorded as a possession of that place in Domesday. There is more doubt about the derivation of first part of the name, but it may come from the name of the man or ‘free coerl’ who used the den, possibly one named Frith.
The Roman route from Rochester to Hastings via Maidstone passes through the Parish at Knoxbridge. Two Romano-British urns were discovered close to this road in Leggs Wood in 1857. During the rebuilding of the church in 1846-8 several lumps of Roman concrete and fragments of brick were discovered.
Early documentary evidence suggests that the early permanent settlements were on the ridge above the flood plain. The church also stands on this ridge and is first recorded in the White Book of St Augustine’s c1200. By the thirteenth century, dens were becoming satellite communities of the manors to which they belonged. Cole Farm, c1400, is the first surviving indication of settlement in the flood plain. The 1524-5 tax subsidy suggests that the Weald had seen great prosperity during the previous 200 years. This is reflected in the number and quality of medieval listed buildings in the parish. Frittenden was on the margin of the cloth making area centred on Cranbrook and probably benefited from proximity to this industry. The 1806 and 1839 tithe maps show that the village consisted of two main nuclei, the first grouped near the church and the other around the Bell Inn and the forge. Since then these nuclei have been linked by new building.
Following the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII there was an explosion in the creation of charities. In 1566, under the will of Thomas Idenden, a charity was established for “the use of the Poor Maidens Marriages, to the relief of the poor Householders” in Frittenden. The property left to support this charity was later to become the parish workhouse and farm. The charity disposed of the property in 1953 and the house is now known as Charity Cottages. The charity continues to make small payments to certain parishioners on St Thomas’ Day.
Farming in the parish has normally been a mixture of pastoral and arable, though the balance has changed considerably over time, notably in the depression following the Napoleonic War when there was a significant movement into arable. This resulted in a longer and deeper depression, well into the 1840s, than might otherwise have been the case. Hops, always a risky crop, became a major crop during the nineteenth century and into the twentieth, but no hops are grown in the parish today.
Until the 1970s there was a small brickworks in Dig Dog Lane and bricks and tiles from this site were used in many nineteenth and twentieth century buildings.
The Church was almost totally rebuilt by the Revd. Edward Moore and rededicated in 1848. Edward Moore, together with his wife Harriet, had a major impact on the village and indeed how it looks. Their hand can be seen not only in the church, but in the creation of the school, a Provident Society, a Penny Bank and much else besides. Edward Moore, was a major landowner, second only to the Cornwallis Estate. He was also responsible for many buildings in the parish, including the creation of Parsonage Farm, the largest farm at that time.