Kegworth Bowls Club
A Short History
Kegworth Bowls Club was first formed in 1931; the green was situated at the corner of Whatton Road and Broadhill Road which was then known as Clay Pit Lane, or in Kegworth parlance "Clippit" Lane. It was sited on a piece of ground owned by a Mr Robert (Bob) Sutton, who used to rent it out as allotments, there was a small shed that sufficed as the pervilion and which was used for storage facilities, the provision of teas or refreshments in those days being unheard of.
In 1947 the Club moved to its present position on Nottingham Road, again on a piece of ground that was used as allotments, it was owned by a gentleman by the name of Mr Neale, who owned a nearby hosiery factory. Mr Neale was a bowls player and offered the club this ground with the understanding that he would provide funds to match whatever was raised by the existing club members. The first balance sheet showed a profit of £30.9s.10d and Mr Neale true to his word matched this amount.
The Nottingham Road Green was laid by prisoners of war who were detained at Sutton Agricultural Collage (now Nottingham University) under the supervision and guidance of Mr Albert and Richard Sibson, Mr Thomas Badger and other club members, the pavilion was a shed owned by a Mr Read, who worked as a cobbler and then moved to premises on Derby Road, this gentleman was known locally as "Tin Tack Teddy". At this time teas were provided by the wives of the players in the adult school about fifty yards away from the green, this is now a private dwelling. Through their involvement in providing teas, a Ladies Section was then introduced to village life; the first subscription was set at 10/6d, together with an annual subscription thereafter.
A lady by the name of Mrs Doris Badger, wife of the local blacksmith, was invited to forward names in order that a ladies Committee could be formed, this was first mentioned at a meeting of the Kegworth Bowls Club dated 14th May 1947, the first recorded president of the ladies section was Mrs Dorothy Gibson in 1954, Mrs Gibson was a leading figure in village life and lived on Ashby Road with her husband and family. The first Ladies Captain was Mrs Ivy Hall also in 1954 and the first Ladies Champion was Miss Ethel Shaw, who resided down Long Lane.
Similarly the first Gentlemen's President was Canon Devereaux who was vicar of Kegworth for many years and his reign as President was from 1931 to 1945 and the first Gentlemen's Champion was Mr Terry Pym - all well known Kegworth residents.
The club has had many extensions added to the original pavilion but still retains some of its old charm, Throughout the playing season the members play home and away matches in various leagues.
2016 and the club house has been given a fresh new look two new windows and doors, total repaint of all the external timber. newly decorated club room and a brand new kitchen with all new appliances. The whole building has had it's electrics brought up to date.