Our Story
The Community & Heritage Centre, known locally as The Hall, was rebuilt with Coalfield Regeneration Trust and National Lottery Funding.
The previous hall had been built in the 1950's by the Miners' Welfare and fell into disrepair due to lack of funding after the Tilmanstone Colliery was closed in 1986. The new charity was set up in November 1998 and the centre was completed and opened in 1999.The mezzanine was added in 2003 and is now the home of the Elvington & Eythorne Heritage Centre.
The guide wheel in the grounds of the Centre was from one of the headgears at Tilmanstone Colliery and was saved by Roley, landlord of The Ravens in Tilmanstone who passed it to Gus who donated it to the Hall. The chain securing it was donated by Legs. The frame was designed and built by John Danson who erected it with help from Cyril Rogers. The rocks surrounding it came from the colliery spoil. The frame was originally painted in what was as close to Coal Board Blue as was possible. This was the colour of the headgear frame before it became covered by the coal dust. Older residents may remember that many of the doors in the village were painted in this colour back in the day.
If you have any pictures of the American Suppers and other events held in the hall and would like to share them, please do send them in and we can add them to this page.