ACTON TRUSSELL BEDNALL PARISH COUNCIL
This is the website of Acton Trussell Bednall with Teddesley Hay Parish Council.
Acton Trussell is a village in the English county of Staffordshire. It is known as Actone in the Domesday Book. Located around 4 miles southeast of Stafford, it is an affluent village, with many large homes but few local amenities ). Residents in this village have excellent views of Staffordshire farmland and Stafford Castle in the distance. Its close proximity to the M6 motorway (Junction 13) makes it a very convenient location for commuters. The majority of commuting from the village takes place to the areas of southern Staffordshire, eastern Shropshire and the West Midlands conurbation.
The village church dedicated to St James was originally built in 1212 It was then enlarged and rebuilt in 1869. The main additions were a combined vestry and organ chamber on the north side and a new south porch. The church was re-opened after restoration in 1870 having been closed for 44 years.
Bednall lies in dairy-farming countryside some 2.5 miles southeast of Stafford, 2 miles east of M6 junction 13 and Acton Trussell, about a mile west of the A34 Cannock to Stafford road and about 1 mile southeast of Brocton, Staffordshire. The area around the A34 road is called Bednall Head.
The name Bednall is derived from Badenhall, although it did not appear in the modern form until the late 17th century. It derives from Robert de Badenhall who lived in Staffordshire c.1100. He was one of the knights of the Bishop of Chester from whom he held the land known as Badenhall, and from which he derived his name.
A chapel at Bednall dates from the 12th century. The present church of All Saints dates from 1846. The original chapel consisted of a nave and chancel and a wooden bell turret at its west end. Stained glass was added in the east and west windows in 1862 and 1894 respectively. The glass in the north windows and the desk and lectern date from 1915 and electric lighting was installed in 1937.
TEDDESLEY HAY, formerly a division of the forest of Cannock, is a civil parish lying five miles south of Stafford. The area is 2,625 acres.
Much of the parish is occupied by Teddesley Park, formerly the seat of Lord Hatherton but Teddesley Hall itself has been demolished . The service wings , stables and outbuildings were retained but are largely derelict. Most of the old estate farm buildings and stables however have now been converted into residential accommodation for about 100 households.
The Civil parish is divided into two wards, Acton Trussell ward represented by 6 councillors and Bednall with Teddesley Hay ward represented by 3 councillors.
For more information on Clubs & Societies, Best Kept Village , Community Activities and News in Bednall, Acton Trussell and Teddesley Hay, visit the Parish website. www.batth.co.uk
To enquire about bookings for the Acton Trussell Community Centre please contact the Bookings Secretary : Sue Calvert on 01785 713735
Extracts from the Victoria County History
Acton Trussell and Bednall http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/staffs/vol5/pp11-17
Acton Trussell Community Centre - Bookings
Please contact Sue Calvert 01785 713735 firstname.lastname@example.org
If you contact the Parish Clerk there will be significant delays !!!!