WWI Centenary Gardens
As part of the village’s WWI Centenary commemorations organised by Lowdham Parish Council’s WWI Centenary Committee, Lowdham Village Hall & Playing Fields Committee agreed to convert the 2 small gardens either side of the entrance to the Village Hall car park into WWI Centenary gardens. Shaun King from King Stone Products Ltd kindly donated 2 large stone troughs. Geoff Burton from Nottingham Landscapes kindly cleared the 2 areas and planted shrubs and flowers in and around the troughs once they were in place. Each trough contains a plaque - one dedicating the gardens and the other a poem about the soldiers returning home to Lowdham. The first 2 verses were taken from the poem ‘God’s wonders’ which was written by pupil Edna Rockley for Lowdham School’s Christmas poetry competition in 1945 and the last 2 verses were added by Cllr Alison Glazebrook specifically for the plaques. The gardens were unveiled on Sunday 8 November 2015 as part of a special Remembrance Sunday event.
With thanks to the following:
Geoff Burton, Nottingham Landscapes
Shaun King, King Stone Products Ltd
Notts County Councillor Roger Jackson
Those who made financial private donations
Photos © Alison Glazebrook