We are a small, friendly club situated in Turle Road off Stanford Road, Norbury London. We have a Men's and a Ladies section and also play Mixed games. During the year we hold regular social events in our clubhouse. We are always on the lookout for new members, especially from within our local community.
The Club was officially opened on 5 May 1900, as part of the London & Westminster Bank Sports Club and bowls has been played at Norbury, in Turle Road, ever since that date - with a few blank years because of World Wars – albeit under 8 different names.
Although originally a Men's Bowling Club, in the late 1970's a small group of Ladies got together and in 1977 the Ladies Club was formed. In 1998 National Westminster Bank decided to vacate the sports facilities in Norbury and approximately 28 acres was Leased to a company called Anchor International, which was subsequently taken over by a larger company, PowerLeague, and used primarily for 5-a-side football.
As a Bank club, membership had been restricted to either employees or their spouses, but with this connection now severed, it was agreed by the current members that such restrictions should be abolished and in 1998 the club’s name was changed to its present one ‘NORBURY BOWLING CLUB’ and is open to everyone.
In September 2011 ownership of the ground changed hands again and RUACH Ministries are now the proud owners of both the Freehold and Leasehold and have made it clear that they value the continued existence of the Bowl’s Club.