Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Ospringe Parish Council

How Your Parish Council Can Help

The parish council has a limited number of duties but they all impact directly on the community. Our remit includes:

Allotments: Ospringe Parish Council maintains allotments at Water Lane, Ospringe. The allotment officer is Tony Hoile. To apply for an allotment, please call 07892 884025.

Burial grounds and closed churchyards: There is one churchyard in the parish of Ospringe at the Church of St Peter & St Paul. This is now closed and is maintained by Swale Borough Council.

Events: To publicise an event in the parish on this website, email the Webmaster here.

Parks, playing fields and recreational facilities: Ospringe Parish Council is responsible for maintaining the playground and play equipment at Painter’s Forstal and also for the upkeep of the forstal itself.

Potholes: The parish council reports local highway issues to the relevant county council officer. To alert us to a problem, email chairman Andrew Keel here.

Planning: The parish council is notified of all relevant planning applications within its boundaries and invited to make observations by the district council before a decision is made to grant or refuse.

Ospringe in Bloom: We organise an annual competition for homes, businesses and allotment holders each summer to encourage colourful flower displays throughout the parish.

Seating, litter bins, clocks, memorials and lighting: Ospringe Parish Council is responsible for maintaining footway lighting throughout the parish. The council has in the past part-funded repairs of the church clock. We have renovated the parish war memorial and also organise annual litter picks, providing equipment for volunteers to clean up our streets each spring and remove the collected rubbish.

In addition, the parish council’s remit can include drainage of ditches and ponds, entertainment and the arts, maintaining footpaths and bridleway rights of way, traffic calming, signs, and providing water facilities for public use.

The council can also acquire land, take legal proceedings in the interests of the community and has the power to take part in any public inquiry. The council can also spend a limited amount of money on anything it deems of benefit to the community that is not covered by its other specific responsibilities.