Rolvenden Parish Council
Rolvenden village originally consisted of the Streyte, located along what is now the A28 Ashford to Hastings road, which was almost entirely burned down in 1665, during the Great Plague(except for the church, pub and some farms). This caused the villagers to abandon the Streyte and move a mile down the hill to the common land of the Layne during the 1660s. Already located here was the Tudor house, now called Wesley House, where John Wesley later preached in the 18th century. The villagers later returned to rebuild the Streyte, resulting in the two small hamlets, the Streyte and the younger, smaller and quieter Layne that you see today. The Ewe & Lamb is Rolvenden Layne's only remaining public house, in the not too distant past however, the layne boasted at least 2 shops and 2 public houses. A pretty tree lined road and footpath links Rolvenden Layne with the Sreyte,passing Great Maytham Hall and the Rolvenden Clubhouse before reaching the Village Hall and St Mary The Virgin Church on entering Rolvenden Village.
pictures include a Tree Planting Ceremony by Rolvenden's Eldest resident Mr Bill Steadman, held on the Layne Playing Field to commemorate the 2012 Queens Diamond Jubilee.