Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Rock & Roll Nostalgia

September 2019

The Lesson In Key(s) [Tune 1]

The rough-and-smooth rock-jazz was turning in an ending rage of cacophony as drums drowned into a swirling morass of piercing guitars and overdriven bass.

Sandi, over in the next room, listening, always enjoyed the last-note noise. It was a ritual for her brother Roberto and his buddies. It was a miracle that anybody cared outside of the small room they occupied for songs and improvisations.

If the neighbors complained, the usual response was to turn their radios louder. After the Chaos, no one could admit but if you were hip, you knew it was coming, one advantage is that once again you could hear New York salsa on New York so-called “Latin” radio.

Sandi and Roberto’s grandparents reminded that how once you couldn’t hear Spanish Harlem Orchestra in their own city unless you saw them in concert.

Now, anyone can have a radio show, it seems. Even Sandi was asked because, they figured, if her brother had musical talent, so would she. But Roberto’s guitar never interested her much. Neither did his old friend Feli’s drum “kit” that couldn’t even fit in that small room. One wonders if she still has them - she had left years ago.

Two days later, she ventured by a free store, although the “free” part was redundant for at least as long as she’s been alive.

A strange sight caught Sandi’s eye: amid copper pots and a cracked wooden pilón y maceta, there sat a scratched yet sturdy black accordion. She stood staring - almost hearing the bellows slowly erupt in sound to the keys, sounding like a favorite key of Roberto’s.

© Ángel L. Martínez 2019 - 26 d 2020
The Bread is Rising Poetry Collective

La Voz De La Gente: Beny Moré,
Celebrando Cien Años de su Nacimiento

Mira, asere, yo, con mi alma
Escucho y bailo son montuno, mambo, guaracha, y bolero
La alma del pueblo
En mi juventud, yo me recuerdo la timba, el clave, y la maraca
Los momentos de nochebuena con la familia, buena comida
Arroz con calamares, frijoles negros, yuca, ensalada de remolacha,
Tamales, coquito, y natilla
Cuando yo voy por las calles, el himno llama el mundo de bembé