Washington History Society
Last TRAIN to San Fernando*
From Washington 6th Sept 1963
All Aboard Washington Stn - 5.33pm
Washington's 'Metro' Gets the AXE
1. - The 'Last Train' - passing Pelaw Junction on its way to Newcastle.
2. - Washington Station - Looking North?
3. - Washington Station - Looking South? - With Steam(!)
4. - Tickets issued from Washington's two Booking Offices.
5. - A shot looking south from what was Pelaw Junction today. The sidetrack with buffers is still there(!) (complete with signal light post). To the right of these - the original Washington/Newcastle track bed can be seen - with metal post - remnants of the level crossing. Penshaw Monument in the distance behind the bush.
Ready for the Metro?
The cuts were made as part of the 'Beeching Axe' - the decimation of Britain's rail system. The following year - 1964 - saw Washington's designation as a 'New Town'.