Welcome to the website of Betley, Balterley and Wrinehill Parish Council in the rural setting of North West Staffordshire. This site will give you information about the Parish Council and its work as well as more general information about our area, its facilities and organisations.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: From the November meeting the Parish Council will be returning to holding physical meetings at Betley Village Hall. However in view of the continuing threat from Covid social distancing and mask wearing will be maintained. Details can be found on the relevant Agenda page.
NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN REFERENDUM: The Neighbourhood Plan has now reached its final stage. The Independent Examiner (Planning Inspector) has reviewed the Plan and, with a few minor changes, has approved it. The Final Neighbourhood Development Plan will now be submitted to the local community for approval via a local referendum. This referendum will now take place on Thursday 16th December. The arrangements will be the same as for a local or general election with a polling station at Betley Village Hall and postal vote packs will be sent to those who normally vote by post. This is an important vote and approval of the Neighbourhood Plan will mean that our area will have extra protection against inappropriate development with local planning policies rather than policies set by Newcastle or Whitehall. Please be sure to use your vote on this important matter.
ABOUT BETLEY, BALTERLEY & WRINEHILL
The Civil Parish comprises the neighbourhoods of Balterley, Betley and Wrinehill and is located on the A531 and B5500 about 8 miles north-west of Newcastle-under-Lyme and 6 miles south-east of Crewe, on the boundary of Staffordshire with Cheshire. It covers 1,073 hectares and has a population of around 1,250.
Betley is first mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) and received a market charter in 1226. It is likely the village developed as a medieval settlement and by the mid-15th century Betley Old Hall was functioning as a manor house. The earliest parts of St Margaret's Church - a Grade I Listed Building - are of around 1500 and some of the oldest other buildings date from c.1600. The village developed as an estate settlement owned by two families: the Betley Court Estate of the Fletcher-Twemlows and the Tollet Estate based on Betley Old Hall and then the later Betley New Hall.
The character of the Parish is predominantly rural with open countryside consisting of low, gently undulating land. The area is classified as "ancient clay farmlands" in the local landscape character assessment.
The Parish lies within the Green Belt, except for the inset "village envelope" in the centre of Betley. Part of the village of Betley was designated a Conservation Area in 1970 and there are 46 Listed Buildings in the Parish, the majority within the Conservation Area.
THE ROLE OF THE PARISH COUNCIL
The Parish Council is the lowest tier of local government and thus the closest to the residents of the area. Although it provides few services it has an important role in representing the area, commenting on planning applications and lobbying Newcastle Borough Council and Staffordshire County Council on issues falling within their areas of responsibility.
The Council is made up of 12 councillors: six representing Betley, three representing each of Balterley and Wrinehill. The Council normally meets monthly (except in August and December) and is supported by a paid Clerk. No councillors receive remuneration.
There are two Sites of Special Scientific Interest at Betley Mere and the Black Firs & Cranberry Bog site, which also have protection under the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.