Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

1921 - 2021

Continue to website
Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Home

The next Parish Council Meeting will take place via Zoom on Monday 17th May 2021 at 7.30pm. Members of the public are welcome to attend. Meeting details can be obtained by contacting the Clerk no later than noon on the day of the meeting.

 

Due to the current Covid 19 situation Parish Council meetings are being held via Zoom. Members of the public are welcome to attend, meeting details can be obtained by contacting the Clerk.

 


 

Luddesdown is an ancient parish named after the village in which the 13th century parish church of St Peter and St Paul was built.  The village was referred to in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Ledesdune; from the Saxon for a ‘village in the hills’.

Today Luddesdown parish is in Gravesham borough in North Kent.  The parish runs from Henley Street in the north to Commority Road in the south and roughly encompasses the valley running between those two roads. Great Buckland is a hamlet within Luddesdown parish.  The whole parish lies within the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, being extensively fields, chalk downland and woodland.  It is a beautiful quiet oasis of green and home to 220 people (source: 2011 National Census) of whom 183 are registered electors (source: 2019 Electoral Register) and some 92 dwellings. 

The popular Geograph project also has some photographs of our parish.  For more information about the area, read the 1797 Edward Hasted "History and Topographical Survey of Kent" for Luddesdown parish