Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Traffic incidents

Traffic Incidents

22nd November 2016/Comments on Traffic Incidents

Following the recent traffic survey carried out by the Parish Council it was decided to set up an incident log for traffic issues that the police don’t record. This will be a useful piece of data should the council need it when discussing measures to reduce traffic speed and numbers of cars or lorries. Any incidents should be reported to the Clerk who will put the details on the Traffic Incident log webpage. Time, date, what and where, please.

Images are at the bottom of this page.

INCIDENT 1

Time:     23:00

Date:     07 Jan 2015

What:    MiniCooper traveling away from Nonington lost control and hit a tree on North side of Sandwich Road approx 150yds before Beech Grove Entrance.  Left front of vehicle was badly damaged.  Airbags deployed and horn was sounding constantly.  No passengers in the vehicle, and the driver a 21 year old Male did not appear to be injured.   Incident was not reported to the police by the driver and the vehicle was collected by a recovery company at around 01:00 on the 8th of January.  Speed was most probably the primary factor, road was a bit wet and driver blamed mud on the road but see attached pictures showing no mud.

INCIDENT 2

Time:    15:15

Date:     12 Jan 2015

What:   Telegraph Pole broken off by Scaffold Truck.  According to account by driver, the Scaffold truck met a van travelling the opposite direction had to move over and sunk into the soft verge.  The back end of the truck swung over and clipped the Telegraph Pole breaking it off.  See Picture.

Where: On North side of Sandwich Road 200 yds from Beech Grove Entrance.

INCIDENT 3

Time:    12:30

Date:     04 Mar 2014

What:   Speeding car travelling towards Nonington flipped onto its roof after hitting dirt embankment on corner skidded across road and ploughed into a hedge.  Car was completely destroyed.  No other vehicles involved and fortunately only minor injuries sustained this time to the driver.  Most probably driver speeding and possible distracted.

Where: On Sandwich Road, 150 yards before road to Nonington Court flats when travelling into Nonington.

INCIDENT 4

Time Morning

April 2015

What:  Car travelling west along Easole Streer taking the bend at Butchers Lane junction too fast.

INCIDENT 5

Time  Early Morning

Date 21st January 2016

What:  Van travelling along Holt St skidded on ice, hit the grass bank and turned on it’s side. The roads had not been gritted.

Where: Holt St by the old colliery

INCIDENT 6

Time  17.30

Date 20th April 2016

What:  Car travelling along Sandwich Rd, towards Nonington hit a telegraph pole, snapping it, and turned over. The driver was conscious throughout.

Where: Sandwich Rd, 75m from Forest Drive, towards Nonington

Incident 7

Copy of an email received from Mr J Hardy on Sunday 11/04/21

Not sure if this is for you or not, but I'd like to inform you that an articulated lorry coming down Mill Lane, and turn right onto Sandwich Road, hit the wall on the corner belonging to my house (The Barn) causing some damage. It was reported to me by a neighbour, who unfortunately didn't get a chance to get the vehicle registration number as it was dark (roughly 00.30 on the Saturday morning). I have not escalated this to the police as I feel there is nothing they can do, but thought it was worth letting Nonington Parish Council know, as I believe you are monitoring traffic in the area. Obviously, any substantial vehicle coming that way would not suitable due to the nature of the roads. 

Hi there, I would like to report an incident caused by lorry turning on Easole Street and Mill Lane corner and The Barn, Easole Street Grade II listed property damage. On 10.04.2021 at 12:30am a huge articulated lorry came down Mill Lane and tried right to go into Sandwich. Our Neighbor at Lime Tree House seen it all happening from the bedroom. Lez Stradling heard the engine noise and scraping of brickwork. Unfortunately Lez could not see the driver or the number plate of the vehicle, only the damage it left behind. Please see attached pictures of damage. We believe the lorry had been damaged too. P.S.: I have pictures of damage and I have reported this incident to Dover Council too. Best Regards, Anna Hardy

Incident 1 Incident 1
Incident 2 Incident 2
Incident 3 Incident 3
Incident 4 Incident 4
Incident 5 Incident 5
Incident 6 Incident 6