The Glebe Field lies between St Mary's Church and The Waggon & Horses public house. It had once been the gift to the church of an unknown benefactor to help maintain the building.
Once the vicarage stood in this area, along with a farm which helped the vicar to sustain his family. The buildings disappeared in the 19th century but the undulations where they stood can still be seen.
This central space in the old village must have seen many interesting happenings – such as the celebrations held in 1815 to mark the end of the Napoleonic Wars.
The glorious Coronation Oak was planted by the Parish Council in 1937 to celebrate the coronation of George VI – planted by the oldest and youngest person in the parish. Unfortunately this tree failed and the Parish Council secretly replaced it the next year!
In 2011 the Glebe Field became the property of the parish of Bleasby and that year an archaeological dig was carried out. Nothing very spectacular was found but it was very interesting and great fun!
From that year the Glebe Field has become our “village green” where a variety of events have taken place including picnics to celebrate special royal happenings, Christmas events and village and school fairs and is available by arrangement with the Parish Council for village events which local people may wish to hold.
In 2018 Glebe Field saw the addition of the Aircrews Memorial which remembers the names of 41 airmen who died in aircraft crashes in the area of Bleasby, Nottinghamshire during WWII. There is also a plaque for the unknown airmen who also died in the area whilst serving their countries and who have not been identified.
It is in everyday use for anything from sitting to admire the beautiful surroundings, for children to explore and play and for local people to take part in a variety of activities such as teddy bears’ picnics for the Bleasby Playgroup and the charity camp-out undertaken by Bleasby WI members!