Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content


According to the parish records, the Council was established at a meeting on 4th December 1894, at 7.00pm.  Unfortunately, the minutes do not record where it was held.  George Pearson was proposed and seconded to take the chair, and 16 residents put their names forward as Councillors.  The following were elected:

George Coppins, Henry Grigsby, Francis Mercer, George Homewood, William Hooker, Herbert Millgate and Horatio Missing

Following this, the first official Parish Council meeting was held on 20th December 1894 in the local school.  Reverend Francis Mercer was elected Chairman, Henry Grigsby was elected Vice Chairman, and George Pearson was appointed Clerk. Revered Mercer was Chairman until April 1896, when Horatio  Missing took over the position and held it until April 1912.  Meetings appear to have been held monthly, as now.  The first Annual Parish meeting was held on 27th March 1895.  From 1942, meetings were held in the Parish Hall, continuing until 2000, when the new Village Hall, with its Committee Room, was completed. 

Many longstanding Egerton family names such as Missing, Weeks, Ledger, Homewood, Oliver, Pearson, Gore, Harmer and Pack appear on the Council from the beginning to the present day.   The Oliver family has served the Council both as Chairman (Tim) and Clerk: Tim’s father Phil held this post for 29 years, retiring in 1965.  In May 2007 a number of long-standing Councillors stepped down, including Tim Oliver and Jeff Hopkins who had served on the Council for just over 30 years.  Tim Oliver had also chaired the Council for many years. He was succeeded by Tim Lee in May 2007. In 2011, Tim Lee stepped down from the Parish Council.  He was succeeded by Alison Richey as Chairman. After three and a half years as Chairman, Alison stepped down due to illness and was replaced by Richard King  who remains as current Chairman.

Clerks to the council

Sue Palmer (over 20 years until May 2006) was succeeded by Tessa Hilder  (May 2006 – November 2007),  Lois Tilden,  (October 2007 – May 2011),  Claire Finley (March 2011 – October 2012). Our current clerk is Heather James who started in September 2012.

With thanks to Sue Palmer who kindly wrote this brief history of the Council