This PWBC Website was developed by Web Designer Rob Dubery in October 2018 using software supplied and supported free by HugoFox with the support of a Management Committee sub-committee consisting of Brian Robinson, John Murray and Angela Snowden. They were supported by input and feedback from at least 20 other club members – a great team effort!
The HugoFox software was recommended to PWBC by London Sport and is also recommended by Bowls England as a good website development and support platform. HugoFox is used by a number of other local clubs.
The key difference between this website and the initial club website (built in 2011 - see the Gallery, Club Archive sub-page) which it replaced is that it is dynamic rather than static – it will include results as well as the fixtures lists (including NWKL and BOIL). The intention is also to build on the excellent gallery pages for the enjoyment of current PWBC members (including Associates) and visitors (who may be potential new members).
1) Home – This page gives an overview of the club for potential new members (including links to details of Open Days etc).
Please note that the sign-up link is regarding News articles posted to the website – if you sign-up you will receive an email when a News Article is posted or updated (click 'View News' to see the new article or 'View All News' to see our News page).
2) News – brief news items from club members (the Members Newsletter will contain more detailed reports as usual).
3) Getting Started – information for potential new bowlers (there is also a sub-page re Etiquette).
4) Membership – information for potential new members.
5) Club Competitions – this gives a summary of the Club Champions and finalists (there is also a sub-page re Markers).
6) Coaching - information for members, potential members and potential Bowls Coaches.
7) Ladies’ Fixtures.
a) This starts with an introduction/welcome from the Captain, then details of the Captain’s charity and the Bowling Committee.
b) The results table can be sorted* using the arrows by the headings, e.g. to group results home and away, against a specific club or Jubilee League (JL in the ‘Rinks’ column).
c) This is followed by PDFs: The Fixtures List; Away Club locations; and last year’s results.
d) There are sub-pages re external leagues and knockout competitions (except the Gladys and Fred Tyler Cups which are part of the NWKL).
8) Men’s Fixtures - same format as Ladies’ Fixtures.
9) Ladies’ NWKL - this follows PWBC’s progress in the North West Kent League played during the summer. The results table can be sorted* using the arrows by the headings, e.g. to group results home and away or against a particular club.
a) There is a sub-page for the Gladys Tyler Cup which is run by the NWKL.
10) Men’s NWKL - same format as Ladies’ NWKL (except Fred rather than Gladys Tyler Cup)
11) BOIL – this follows PWBC’s progress in the Bromley Indoor Outdoor League played at Bromley Indoor Bowls Club during the winter. The results table can be sorted* using the arrows by the headings, e.g. to group results against a particular club.
12) Captains' Charities - information for members (past, present and potential)
13) Social Events - information for members (present and past friends who like to renew old friendships on some of these occasions).
14) Gallery – some general photos, followed by pages with events in specific years.
15) Links – bowling websites.
16) Contact – address, map and contact email address.
* The facility to sort items in tables using the headings is for desktop PCs etc - not available on mobiles.
1) Website design - Rob Dubery was the Web Designer.
2) Maintenance of Website –
a) Angela S is now responsible for updating & maintaining the Website. Brian R to deputise for her.
b) Match Results update – the Captain of the day will be responsible for sending the match results promptly to the PWBC Web Team via and email to email@example.com.
c) North West Kent results update – the Ladies’ and Men’s reps will be responsible for sending the match results promptly to the PWBC Web Team via and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) An Events Page was not considered necessary; events such as the Open Days / Charity Days will appear on the Home page.
4) The News page to be retained – if anyone wants an item to appear here they will need to submit it to one of the Club Secretaries, who will take the appropriate action. If there is any contention, it will go to the President and/or Management Committee for final decision.
5) Photographs –
a) Current we have no official club photographer. However, photos will be accepted from anyone.
b) When taking group photos, members should be asked to step out if they do not wish their photo to appear on media.
c) The secretaries will hold a list of those members who do not wish their photo to appear on the Website and will vet photos before they are put on the website to ensure this does not happen. NB The club members responsible for Facebook and the Newsletter will do the same.
d) The website photo gallery will not have captions on individual photographs.
6) Security - The safeguarding of the web user name and password rests with the Club Secretaries Angela S and David Clark have sealed envelopes containing this information for emergencies.
7) Facebook links – it is not considered appropriate to have a link between the Website and Facebook because member photo permissions may conflict.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why did the club decide to use HugoFox?
The Web Designer joined the club in 2017 and was soon asked by the Management Committee to provide technical support for the website and to review feedback from London Sport re local bowling clubs' websites. His recommendation to the PWBC Management Committee based on limited research was to use HugoFox's software pending consultation with one of the Beckenham Bowling Clubs that use it (West Beckenham Bowls Club - our thanks to Paul Curran for sharing his experience of HugoFox), Beckenham & Stanhope Bowling Club also use HugoFox. This was because of the quality of the HugoFox website and the websites generated by their software; also they provide their software, hosting and excellent UK based support free to community organisations - see their video on https://www.hugofox.com/pricing#community (only 1 min 12 secs) and testimonial by Oakley Bowls Club (62 page website). The HugoFox software creates websites in line with their ‘corporate branding’; the client decides the content. The Webmaster didn't know that HugoFox had been recommended by Bowls England!
2. Why has PWBC moved from a ‘.com’ to a ‘.org.uk’ domain name?
The .com version of the domain name was not owned by the club; control of it was lost when the contract with the previous website provider was cancelled in September 2018. The Webmaster had to contact all the search engine results entries which found the .com domain name to request updates, and all the clubs in the PWBC fixture list to inform their members about the .org.uk website because their bowlers may have the .com domain name in their browser favourites. The .com domain seems to be a 'rogue' bowls equipment website - beware! The Webmaster has taken legal advice to regain control of the .com domain name. All in all, the enforced change of domain name has created more work than creating the new 34 page website! ;-(
3. Why aren’t the PWBC newsletters on the website?
This was a decision made by the Management Committee because: a) some of the photos were of members who did not give permission for their photos to be on the club’s website; and b) some of the articles contained personal input which it was written for club member’s rather than the WWW!
4. Why doesn’t the website include more phone numbers and email addresses?
Members already have all the information required in the fixture booklet; non-members are provided with the club secretary phone numbers and an email address for the webmaster on the Home page. Personal email addresses can be abused for spam and scam emails, personal phone and mobile numbers can also be subjected to similar abuse.
5. Why is the message “This domain has been registered for a customer” displayed when I attempt to view the website?
‘http://www.pettswoodbowlingclub.org.uk/community/petts-wood-bowling-club-15142/home’ is the full 'url' for the website. www.pettswoodbowlingclub.org.uk points to this address. The message in the question above is displayed on some devices (e.g iPads) if the www is omitted.
6. What limitations have been found with the HugoFox software?
- The editing can be fiddly - patience is a virtue. Tip: Save frequently!
- The Web Designer found the following undocumented limitations ….
- each page is limited to 8 component sections, e.g. text, images, attachments, galleries, tables
- file sizes are limited to 10MB. High quality photos have been edited to reduce file sizes. Most videos are excluded, but they can be accessed via weblinks.
- 'Gallery' components are limited to 40 photos
* Home * News * Getting Started * Membership * Coaching * Club Competitions * Ladies' Fixtures * Men's Fixtures * Ladies' NWKL * Men's NWKL * BOIL * Captains' Charities * Social Events * Gallery * Links * Contact *