PLEASE NOTE THAT, DUE TO ABSENTEEISM, THE APRIL 2022 MEETING OF THE COUNCIL INCORPORATING THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING WILL NOW BE HELD ON THE 28TH APRIL
History of the council
In former times, when Kent was administered through areas known as lathes, Sutton-at-Hone was a half-lathe. It covered an area well in excess of Dartford Borough as it is today.
The half-lathe embraced a number of towns and villages including Dartford and, of course, Sutton-at-Hone itself and Hawley.
1894 saw the formation of the Parish Council of Sutton-at-Hone under the Local Government Act of that year. At that time the Council’s area included Sutton-at-Hone, Hawley, Swanley Junction, Swanley Village, Hextable and Crockenhill.
In 1955 many parish boundaries were changed dramatically and the Parish was reduced to just Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley. In the late 1970s the parish was renamed Sutton-at-Hone and Hawley Parish Council to reflect its specific administration area.
There are 9 seats on the Council – 6 representing Sutton-at-Hone and 3 for Hawley. Council meetings are currently held on the third Thursday of every month at 7.30pm, are open to the public and are currently held in Hawley Pavilion, opposite the Papermakers. A slot in the agenda allows for any questions from the public.
This council has many responsibilities. It owns and maintains the open burial ground at St John the Baptist church and administers all burials and interments. Additionally it maintains the closed churchyard on behalf of the Diocese of Rochester. It owns and maintains two large recreation grounds and pavilions – one at Parsonage Lane, Sutton-at-Hone and the other at Hawley Pavilion, opposite the Papermakers Arms. We also own/lease and/or maintain some other smaller leisure areas, including the Orchard-Main Road Sutton-at-Hone (opposite The Greyhound), the grassed area between Balmoral Road & Barfield and Jubilee Field (between Balmoral Road and the primary school field), the latter has some play equipment . Additionally we have a large wildlife area at Burnthouse Lane, Hawley. We also own 2 allotment sites in Sutton-at-Hone (Chapelfields & Parsonage Lane).
We own and maintain over 90 street lights, mainly off the main A225. There are 13 miles of Public Rights of way (PROW) within this parish and whilst these are the responsibility of Kent County Council, we do try and oversee their condition.
Along with all this we also own 3 of the bus shelters in the parish.