Bishopthorpe Bowling Club
The first minute book records a meeting that took place on 20 June 1927 to discuss the formation of a Bowling Club and to decide on a suitable field to lay a green.
The Vicar (the Rev. Canon F L Perkins) was in the chair and 23 other prospective members were present.
£3 remained in the bank from a previous bowling club and this was made available to the new club along with 11 sets of woods. A Committee of seven Members was appointed at the meeting:
Chairman: Mr J Budden
Hon Secretary: Mr W J Simpson
Hon Treasurer: Mr A H Shaw
Committee: Mr T Shields
Mr R Lonsbrough
Mr F Hardy
Mr T Williamson
Others present at the meeting were:
Messrs W H Adams, H Akers, Rev. A S Crawley, F Foster, R Gawthrop, H Gill, G Greaves, J Hudson (Sen), S Johnson, Scott Johnson, W Johnson, E Pallister, Mr Seal (Jnr), Mr Seal (Sen), Tom Walker and W Wells.
It was unanimously agreed to charge an entrance fee of 10/-, which was to be paid before 31 July 1927. All those present agreed to join the Club.
A further General Meeting was held on 3 November 1927 when it was reported that a field had been secured in Acaster Lane and about half the green had been laid. There was sufficient turf available to complete a further quarter of the green and expenditure to date had been £49.
A letter of thanks was to be sent to Mr L Paget of Middlethorpe for the use of his green during the past summer and it was agreed to ask Mr Paget to become President of the Club. The following were to be asked to become Vice-presidents:
Rev Canon Perkins, Rev Crawley, His Grace the Archbishop of York, Sir Wilfred Thomson, Councillor F W Terry, Col Tindale, G A Bromet, E Ashby, W Lofthouse, W Johnson (Builder), W J Simpson, W Johnson (Market Gardener) and Mr Sanderson.
To be continued...