Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

FAQs

Why play bowls?

- Gentle exercise suitable for all ages

- For both Ladies and Gentlemen

- Bowls is a very sociable activity

- And most importantly, It's Fun!

Have a look at this short video from Bowls England

Can I try before I decide?

Before making a financial commitment to join the club we provide you with free coaching from one of our accredited coaches.  The coaching will consist of four to six sessions of around an hour’s duration covering the basic fundamentals of delivering a bowl and playing the game of lawn bowls. Following these sessions you will have a good idea as to whether or not you wish to join our club and take up lawn bowls as a sport or pastime.

What equipment will I need ?

The bowling equipment necessary for these sessions will be freely provided with the exception of bowling shoes.  Initially, any flat-soled shoes are fine to wear on the greens.

​What if I don't have bowls?

We have a variety of bowls to loan; other equipment like measures etc can normally be borrowed by beginners.

When can I practise / When can I play?

Provided there is not a match or club event on members are welcome to practise anytime (see club opening times).

​Who can play/ Can I bring a friend ?

Non-members may play under coaching supervision, or at the invitation of a member (maximum 3 visits), in which case a green fee is payable.

Coaching and Playing 

Once you’ve joined the club the services of the club coaches continue to be available free of charge.  All you need do is make an appointment with one of them for a mutually convenient time.  Your coach will advise you when you are ready to play in an organised game.  Most people reach this standard after just a few lessons. Regular sessions are held on a Monday throughout the season and other times are available. Contact Rob Raine Coach via our website

Once you start playing organised games the coaches continue to be available upon request as you develop and improve your bowling skills and tactics.  Advice on the purchase of bowls and clothing is also readily available from the coaches.  Casual clothing is generally appropriate for social bowls; club uniform is worn in competitions and championship finals. 

(See Dress Code section for details or ask the coach or secretary)

Internal/External Competitions 

Aside from Roll Ups the club organises Internal and External competitions these are shown in your year's Fixtures Book and lists are put in the changing rooms. To find out what is available or suitable to you, talk to the coaches or the Men's and Ladies Club Captains or competitions secretary's.

Each year the club runs Internal Club Competition eg. Pairs, Singles, Handicap Competition. You will be asked if you wish to enter when you get your membership renewal. It is important to check that you are free on the Finals Day before entering, as it is a little unfair beat opponents in the qualifying rounds and then drop out.

How do I enter?

Either put you name on the list or see the Men or Ladies Captain.

Can I have a Copy of the Fixtures List?

Yes just go to the Mens or Ladies Fixtures Section (under Competitions) - there you can download a copy of the PDF.