Abdon and Heath Parish
News and Events
News and Events for June to August 2019:
- Tuesday 4th June - CANCELLED Abdon Wildlife Group Evening Flower Walk, one in the Ashfield/Ruthall area, and one in the Abdon area. Although the main objective is looking for orchids, we will also be looking out for all wild flowers and other wildlife. Full details nearer the time.
- Saturday 8th June - UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning at Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill. Join us and teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments.
- 13th June - New planning applications..
- Saturday 15th June - POSTPONED TO SATURDAY 29th JUNE - Abdon District Community Wildlife Group, Thirlwell's Meadows, Clee St. Margaret 10am.
- Wednesday 19th June - Abdon and Heath Parish Council meeting 7.30pm Abdon Village Hall. Agenda..
- Sunday 23rd June - Abdon District Community Wildlife Group, Wild Flower Meadows, Brickyard Farm, Wheathill. Group members, Dave Hackney and Sue Crichton are holding an open day in aid of charity. Guided walk and cream tea, in return for a donation. On the B4364 at map ref SO602823.
- Tuesday 25th June - Wild plants of Clee Liberty survey, 10am to 4pm, meet at Heatham Gate. We will be surveying at the many habitats on the common including acid grassland, heathland, rush pasture and upland flushes. It’s a great opportunity to find out more, and to share your knowledge about the wildlife and habitats on Clee Liberty. Rob Rowe, local ecologist, will provide full training and support in botanical identification and surveying techniques. Please wear outdoor clothing including good walking boots and bring your lunch and drinks. Bring a hand lens and clipboard if you have them. Everyone welcome, no experience necessary. See the poster attached below for more information.
- Saturday 29th June - Abdon District Community Wildlife Group, Thirlwell's Meadows, Clee St. Margaret 2pm. Over the past 20 years John and Lesley have restored some stunning, flower-rich hay meadows. Some 250 species of plants have been recorded in the fields, hedgerows, pond and wooded areas. Start at 2pm, with introduction, guided walk, and refreshments (max. 3hrs). Meet/park at Glebe Farm, Clee St. Margaret (map ref SO565845), in centre of village, opposite the phone box, at top end of the ford.
- Rural Crime Prevention Evenings - Tuesday 25 June, Shipton Village Hall and Thursday 27 June, Church Preen Village Hall 7.30pm start. You may be aware there seems to be a lot of local, rural crime in our area at the moment – in particular lots of potentially suspicious vehicles and numerous thefts and attempts to steal quad bikes and other equipment. In discussion with the local police force, and some local neighbours we’re arranging two Rural Crime Prevention Evenings, where the police and agencies they work closely with will talk to the community about ways to minimise being targeted by criminals. The gangs are focussing on a wide area, so we feel repeating the meeting in two rural halls, on two dates will give more people the chance to come along. Information & advice from West Mercia Police Crime Prevention Officer, Smartwater, We Don’t Buy Crime & Safer Neighbourhood Team to help the rural community tackle the current spate of rural thefts. All welcome.
- Saturday 29th June - Coffee morning, Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Join us for coffee, cake and a chat - everyone welcome!
- Saturday 27th July - Coffee morning, Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Join us for coffee, cake and a chat - everyone welcome!
- Monday 5th - Friday 9th August - Temporary road closure: Derrington Road, Ditton Priors 9.30am to 4pm. Purpose: Bridge repairs, Works Promoter: WSP. You can view the closure and diversion route by clicking here: https://roadworks.org?tm=113763856. Should you have any queries regarding this closure, please call Customer Services on 0345 6789006, or contact the Street Works Team on email@example.com.
- Brown Clee Meditation Group - every Tuesday evening 7pm in Abdon Village Hall. All are welcome at no cost. A leaflet is available from Brown Clee Surgery.
- Coffee morning - last Saturday each month in Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, except for December.
- UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning - 2nd Saturday each month at Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill. Join us and teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments. Phone Penny 712530 or Margaret 712296.
- Sewing club - occasional afternoons at various locations in Abdon. See the Sewing Club page for details.
- Flower club - first Monday evening each month (March to December) in Abdon Village Hall. See the Flower Club page for details.
- Church services - second and fourth Sunday of each month at St. Margaret's Church, Abdon. See the St. Margaret's Church page for details.
- Parish Council meetings - usually the last Thursday in January, April, July and October in Abdon Village Hall. See the Parish Council page for details.
- Women's Institute - second Wednesday each month at Clee St.Margaret Village Hall. See the Women's Institute Page for details.
Abdon and Heath Parish Council - Marquee for hire.