Abdon and Heath Parish
News and Events
Coronavirus food parcels now available for the most vulnerable in Shropshire:
The April 2020 Corvedale News magazines ARE on the way! Thanks to help of Sarah, Jo, and Nicola we will be distributing the Corvedale News as usual. Your copy should be with you within the next week. Take care and keep safe!
A 'Helping Hand in the Corvedale'. Throughout the Corvedale people will need to self isolate. If you can help with picking up shopping, collecting prescriptions, urgent errands or a friendly phone call we would love to hear from you. Please send your name, the village where you live, phone number, email address, and the kind of help you are able to offer to email@example.com. In next month's Corvedale News we will publish the resulting 'Directory of Helping Hands' and we will also make the information available via the Parish Council website and the Google Group. Thank you.
Other Support Groups:
- For anybody in need of assistance during self isolation there are also informal groups willing to help including the Brown Clee Surgery PPG and Ditton Priors and Surrounding Areas Facebook group.
- Clee St Margaret Community Support WhatsApp group - you can join by following this link: (please note that you need to click on this link from your smartphone) https://chat.whatsapp.com/ICxeAvAS2dsLt4VUMH5DoH
- Stoke St Milborough support group - you can join here: https://forms.gle/xY3bx4LHFKoEzu889. Here you can also find links to their Facebook and WhatsApp groups.
- Weekly deliveries of fruit and vegetables to Clee St Margaret Village Hall. Organised by Shalynn Cartwright email: firstname.lastname@example.org. How does it work: Email Shalynn to place order by 10.30am Thursday. Shalynn will give you a number. She collects at 6.30am on a Saturday from Bridgnorth market. Shalynn pays for the lot. You pay on collection from village hall car park at 12noon on Saturday and put your money on your ticket in the money box. Any orders or queries, please email Shalynn.
- Ludlow Farm Shop (aka The Food Centre) are delivering. Delivery: Phone orders only NO EMAIL tel: 01584 856565 lines open 9am to 12pm. £20 minimum spend, 10 mile radius. Collection: Phone orders only NO EMAIL tel: 01584 856565 lines open 9am to 12pm. No minimum spend.
- Walls butchers in Ludlow are delivering. Phone: 01584 872060
- A H. Griffiths butchers are also delivering. Phone: 01584 872141
- Bread - Swifts in Ludlow are delivering to surrounding villages. Email Robert Swift at email@example.com
- Teme Dairy already deliver milk (and eggs) to most of the area but are not taking on new customers
- Talley Ho – Take away menu. Available Tuesday to Sunday, 12pm-2pm, 6pm-9pm. All meals £7.50. Call 01584 841811.
- Fish & chips
- Cheese burger
- Scampi & chips
- Chicken tikka & rice
- Chicken burger
- Billie Urey-Guest (Stoke St Milborough Village Hall Chef). Contact via SSM/CSM Community Support WhatsApp groups. Orders by Monday evenings, deliveries on Wednesdays. Delivery to Stoke St. Milborough and surrounding villages. Payment by PayPal - firstname.lastname@example.org. Sample menu (from March 25th):
- Steak pie
- chicken and mushroom pie
- vegetable pie
- sides, new potatoes and roast parsnips an carrots
- Rice pudding
- Pies - 1 large portion pie £3.50, 2 large portion pie £6, 4 large/family size £9.50. Sides- 2 portions £1.50. Pudding- 2 portion serving £2.50.
- Spar Ludlow - deliveries up to 10 mile radius 01584 879136.
- Fishmore Hall are up and running and hope to deliver to the boot your car soon!
- Click and Collect Groceries - Nationwide hub. This will be evolving over time so keep checking back with their Facebook page. They are also (or maybe it’s the same thing) to become a collection point for food deliveries from Wellocks. More information to follow soon. For now, here’s the link to the Wellocks at home service www.wellocksathome.co.uk.
- Boyne Arms, Burwarton - update. We have been in touch with Shropshire Council they have given us permission to provide our service to the elderly and vulnerable only. We have to monitor the guidelines day by day. So we will be providing a lunch time service only for delivering a hot meal and collection of essentials from Cleobury North Shop and Reg Mays butchers. Between 12:00 and 2:00 Wednesday - Sunday. For as long as we are permitted to and for as long as our suppliers can provide goods to us. Please place all your orders the night before. This service is for the people who need help the most. Our Takeaway service is no longer operating.
- The Willows Café, Station Road, Ditton Priors - take away service available. Tel: 01746 712422.
Village Hall Update:
Unfortunately we have had to cancel events at the Village Hall for the time being. Message from Margaret Buckingham, Chair of the Abdon Village Hall Committee: "Evening everyone. Given the advice from government I’m sorry to say we will not be able to have the coffee mornings at the Village Hall for the foreseeable future. I really appreciate how important our coffee mornings are so we meet up with friends and neighbours, to chat, laugh a lot and of course eat cake! But as Abdon folks are so supportive of each other, I know we will keep in touch with each other whether by phone, email or other social media. I’ve got a list! Please kindly pass this on to those who I have not included because I don’t yet have contact details. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Take care and keep safe everyone. Warm wishes, Margaret."
Reverend John Beesley is finding ways of keeping in contact with folks in Corvedale. Please see his letter to the Parishes attached below. He says anyone who needs help or wants a word just let him know. There is a Corvedale Parishes Facebook page that he will be posting messages on as usual. If you are not on Facebook you can Google Corvedale Parishes and see his postings. His number is 01584 841488 and email email@example.com. The Church wardens at St Margaret’s Abdon, Fran Howells and Margaret Buckingham, as well as through John, can get copies of the leaflets that he mentions in his letter to anyone who would like a copy, either electronically or on paper.
Abdon District Community Wildlife Group Update:
It will probably come as no surprise to you that we are cancelling part of our programme because of the coronavirus issue. The Moss Day and the Dawn Chorus Walk are cancelled. There will be no Moth Mornings or Bat Evenings until further notice. The curlew survey will continue, as this will be done by individuals, or by pairs, who can consider their approach, in quiet countryside. If you would rather not now take part in this survey please contact Miles. It might well be that we have to cancel further events. Hopefully, with Spring arriving we can still all enjoy observing wildlife, and swap stories and pictures at a later date.
Message from Public Health, Shropshire Council:
Dear Town and Parish Council, Thank you for your communications over the last number of days; you are all working hard to support your communities, and we continue to need your help at this time. We last communicated to tell you about the community resource pack that we put together to support community volunteering schemes. The link for this resource pack can be found here, and in addition to this pack we are adding the advice attached below 'Working in Communities' for people to keep themselves well.
Community Reassurance Team (CRT) - A new key service has been created during this pandemic. The CRT will work across the county with our communities in an effort to coordinate support for local residents and businesses. We are working to develop local coordination centres attached to these teams in Ludlow, Bridgnorth, Oswestry, Market Drayton and Shrewsbury (these teams will support all corners of the county). Currently these coordination centres won’t be open to the public but will support the response to needs in the community. More information will be available in the coming days as we develop thinking further.
We are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, we will meet people who are in crisis, but with the changes it is majority telephone support. Our number is 01743 368647, the team are great and will assist and support to their best ability. We have outreach workers who are making calls Monday to Friday to all those that we are aware of, but we can extend that to anyone with needs, ensuring everyone is in contact and we can then follow up with a call. We are looking at food parcels, but the shortage at the moment means that it is on hold for the moment.
We have the Crisis Cafe, it is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 6pm to 10pm within Shropshire Mind at Abbey Foregate. Normally you just turn up, but now you must call ahead on the phone number above because of the limit on numbers currently under Covid-19.
We run Shropshire Sanctuary every night as follows. If you are in crisis or in need of support, you can telephone the Access team on 0300 124 0365, they will refer you in.
- Monday to Thursday 5pm to 9am
- Friday 5pm to 11pm
- Saturday 3pm to 11pm
- Sunday 3pm to 9am.
It is normally a suicide prevention service with two trained staff on all night, but given the current climate, we have lowered this to those with emotional or mental health needs. If anyone has needs, or just wants a chat, please give us a call, if we are not the right people, we will find the right people for you. Our Sanctuary service is commissioned to cover both Telford and Shropshire as is our crisis cafe. We will take and triage a call from all locations and work with the person to find the best possible outcomes for them.
Shropshire Council Updates:
- Shropshire Council e-Library
- News from our partners: Coronavirus – No need to stockpile or panic buy paracetamol say health bosses
- Coronavirus: Reduced trading hours at Shrewsbury’s shopping centres
- Shrewsbury park and ride service to be suspended from this Saturday
- COVID-19 update: Country Parks and Heritage Sites in Shropshire open
- Coronavirus: Council tax payment delay offer available for residents impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus: The importance of social distancing is stressed by local director of public health
- Coronavirus: Chancellor’s additional support to protect businesses
- News from our partners: Coronavirus – Shropshire Music Trust cancels all future concerts
- Coronavirus: Community resource toolkit launched to support voluntary and community groups during emergency
- Coronavirus: All Shropshire Council buildings to close from today (Monday)
Other News and Events for March and April 2020:
- 30th March - Stoke Bank is closed for 2 days due to a water leak.
- What to do before and after a flood - Environment Agency booklet attached below.
- Connecting Shropshire Broadband programme update - attached below.
- Shropshire Care Closer to Home News - attached below.
- Latest Parish Council minutes click here...
- Latest Planning Applications click here...
- SOS Save our Curlews Campaign Appeal - please give generously. Last Thursday Leo Smith gave a full account to the Abdon Community Wildlife Group meeting of the work going on to Save our Curlews across Shropshire, and how our local results feed into the County, regional and national work to develop an effective Curlew Conservation Plan that requires Government action and support. Nine other Community Wildlife Groups in Shropshire are doing similar work, so we aren’t alone. If the current rate of decline isn’t halted and then reversed very soon, our Curlews will be extinct, and we’ll never get them back. Does that matter to you? As he explained, this work costs money. The Shropshire Ornithological Society has made a financial commitment from its own funds, but donations are also needed from SOS members, Community Wildlife Group members, and the general public. The SOS has launched an appeal attached below. Please consider whether you are able to make a donation. If you can, please give generously. If you are a UK tax payer, please complete the Gift Aid Certificate. It allows SOS to reclaim the tax you’ve paid on your donation, so it increases what you give by 25%. I hope you can support the appeal.
Regular events - cancelled for the time being:
- Brown Clee Meditation Group - every Tuesday evening 7pm in Abdon Village Hall. All are welcome at no cost. A leaflet is available from Brown Clee Surgery.
- Coffee morning - last Saturday each month in Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, except for December.
- UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning - 2nd Saturday each month at Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill. Join us and teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments. Phone Penny 712530 or Margaret 712296.
- Church services - second and fourth Sunday of each month at St. Margaret's Church, Abdon. See the St. Margaret's Church page for details.
- Parish Council meetings - usually the last Thursday in January, April, July and October in Abdon Village Hall. See the Parish Council page for details.
- Women's Institute - second Wednesday each month at Clee St.Margaret Village Hall. See the Women's Institute Page for details.
Abdon and Heath Parish Council - Marquee for hire.