News and Events
Latest News and Events:
- Cost of Living Help from Shropshire Council - Increases in the cost of food, fuel and utilities is affecting many households in Shropshire and we know that it is a worrying time for everyone. To help, we have brought together a number of useful links, tips and pointers on where and how people can find help across the county www.shropshire.gov.uk/cost-of-living-help/.
- Brown Clee Ukraine Support Group - For information please email David at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday 3rd May - In-patient visiting is to be re-introduced at the Royal Shrewsbury and Princess Royal Hospitals from Tuesday 3 May, after it was previously suspended in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visitors will be asked to continue to help restrict the spread of the virus by following some key requirements, including wearing face masks and observing social distancing when in the hospitals. See press release below for more details.
- 6th May - Middle Marches Community Land Trust Conference - A daylong conference on the 6th May at the village hall at Norbury on regenerative agriculture and making local land management and farming much more profitable and sustainable. Aimed at landowners and land managers. Take a look at the flyer attached below and book free tickets.
- Saturday 7th May - Abdon Wildlife Group. POSTPONED. 10am-12pm Holy Trinity, at Holdgate.
- 8th May - Launch of Keep on Moving Shropshire Festival (KOMS). The Festival, created by a partnership of Energize, Taking Part, Age UK, Shropshire Council and the NHS, aims to inspire and make it easy for people over 55 to have a go at something new. The Festival will start with a launch day on 8th May at Shrewsbury Sports Village where you can come and try new things and listen to fascinating and inspiring talks. We are planning to offer activities like walking netball, community dance, creative activities, postural stability exercises and many others. There will also be a range of information stalls to browse. Look out for other events and taster sessions throughout the country for the rest of May.
- Monday 9th May - Armed Forces Outreach. 10am-12.30pm Bridgnorth Library.
- Tuesday 10th May - One Chance: Conversations and information about death and dying. The practical and emotional steps we all need to take to be ready at the end of our lives. 1 – 4:30pm at Shrewsbury Town Football Club. Book online: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/one-chance-conversations-and-information-about-death-and-dying-tickets-302587787217 Book by phone: 01743 237884.
- 11th May - Planning Decisions
- Reference: 22/01180/FUL (validated: 23/03/2022)
- Address: Land At Upper House Farm, Abdon, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 9HZ
- Proposal: Erection of an agricultural barn for storage (re-submission)
- Decision: Grant Permission
- View online at: http://pa.shropshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=R8HRPQTDM5W00
- 10th May - Planning Decisions
- Reference: 21/04492/FUL (validated: 29/09/2021)
- Address: Proposed Rural Workers Dwelling At Hunters View, Brookhampton, Shropshire
- Proposal: Erection of rural workers dwelling; installation of package treatment plant and change of use from agricultural to mixed agricultural and equine use (amended description)
- Decision: Grant Permission
- View online at: http://pa.shropshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QZHM0OTDIA800
- Saturday 14th May - CANCELLED UFO craft morning.
- Wednesday 18th May - CPR Training Session, 7pm Abdon Village Hall. The session will last for about an hour. It will cover what to do following a cardiac arrest, and how to use the defibrillator located at the village hall. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided. If you would like to attend please let me know email@example.com
- Thursday 19th May - Abdon and Heath Parish Council AGM. 7.30pm Abdon Village Hall. All parishioners are welcome to attend. Agenda attached below.
- Thursday 19th May - Shropshire Resilience Conference - 8:30am to 4pm at Shrewsbury Town Football Club. See https://resilience.shropshire.gov.uk for details.
- Thursday 19th May - Abdon and District Community Wildlife Group. Green Lane Walk, Clee St. Margaret. Start 10am, finish 1pm. This event is very much how we did things in the early days of the group – go for a walk, see what we find, and share our wildlife knowledge. We might be looking at plants, insects, birds, anything! Meet, and park, at Oak Barn (Polly Bolton’s) – map ref SO 568838. If you come through Clee St. Margaret, go through the village keeping phone box on your left, and at the T junction turn left towards Stoke St Milborough. After about quarter of a mile Oak Barn is first property on the left. The distance is about 1.5 miles, and Polly will have a cup of tea ready for us at the end!
- 19th May - New Planning Application:
- Reference: 22/01833/FUL (validated: 19/05/2022)
- Address: Cartway Cottage, Woodbank, Abdon, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY7 9HX
- Proposal: Change of use of land to domestic garden land and erection of a three bay detached garage with new vechiular access
- Applicant: Mr S Graham
- View online at: http://pa.shropshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=RAAIFETDN2M00
- Saturday 21st May - Abdon and District Community Wildlife Group. Holy Trinity, Holdgate 10am to noon. (map ref SO562896). The site has seen very limited mowing or strimming in recent years, and we can expect to find plenty of interest. The church is considering managing “the churchyard in a sound ecological way by a selective hay cutting regime”. Finding out what plants are there now, will provide a baseline for future care. Our second visit will be on Saturday 9th July.
- 24th May - Armed Forces Outreach. 1.30-3.30pm Cleobury Mortimer Community Hub.
- Wednesday 25th May - Abdon and District Community Wildlife Group. Green Hairstreak and Emperor moth survey day. Clee Liberty (this event is being run by the Our Upland Commons project). Meet 11am at Heatham Gate entrance to Clee Liberty Common (SO573849).
- Saturday 28th May - Coffee and cake morning - Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, everyone welcome!
- Sunday 29th May - Invitation from HM Lord-Lieutenant of Shropshire to a service of thanksgiving and re-dedication to mark the unveiling of the Covid-19 commemorative sculpture at Shrewsbury Abbey on Sunday, 29th May 2022 at 6pm. The service is open to all.
- Thursday 2nd June - Abdon Village Hall Platinum Jubilee Party 2pm to 6pm. FREE ENTRY, EVERYONE WELCOME! BRING YOUR OWN PICNIC AND DRINKS. Two themes for those who wish to dress for the occasion: 1950s or Royal Ascot. Prize for the best decorated Jubilee hat. Live music from the 50s to the noughties with the Diamond Geezer. Children’s games. Memory table. Jubilee cake. Raffle prizes to be won (£1 per raffle ticket strip). Followed by a walk to the top of Abdon Burf for the lighting of the Jubilee Beacon - meet at 8pm at the gate above the telephone box.
- Saturday 11th June - UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning. Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill or teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments.
- Saturday 25th June - Coffee and cake morning - Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, everyone welcome!
- Wednesday 29th June - Abdon Village Hall Committee Annual General Meeting (AGM). 7pm Abdon Village Hall. All Abdon residents are welcome to attend. (PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A NEW DATE, originally 6th June).
- Saturday 9th July - Abdon Wildlife Group. 10am-12pm second visit to Holy Trinity at Holdgate. The site has seen very limited mowing or strimming in recent years, and we can expect to find plenty of interest. The church is considering managing “the churchyard in a sound ecological way by a selective hay cutting regime”. Finding out what plants are there now, will provide a baseline for future care.
- 27th July - Road Closure at Redstart Barns (The Barn), Brookhampton, TF13 6LN. Severn Trent have a new water connection to install and have a planned road closure to carry this out safely. Attached is a plan of the diversion route for your information.
- Brown Clee Meditation Group - every Tuesday evening 7pm in Abdon Village Hall. All are welcome at no cost. A leaflet is available from Brown Clee Surgery.
- Coffee and cake morning - last Saturday each month in Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, except for December.
- UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning - 2nd Saturday each month at Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill. Join us and teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments. Phone Penny 712530 or Margaret 712296.
- Church services - Second and fourth Sunday of each month at St. Margaret's Church, Abdon. See the St. Margaret's Church page for details. Please see the latest Corvedale News or Corvedale Parishes Facebook page for updates. If you are not on Facebook you can Google Corvedale Parishes and see the postings.
- Parish Council meetings - usually the last Thursday in January, April, July and October in Abdon Village Hall. See the Parish Council page for details.
- Women's Institute - second Wednesday each month at Clee St.Margaret Village Hall. See the Women's Institute Page for details.