News and Events
Abdon welcomes visitors for walking and cycling, but please make sure you park in the Village Hall car park and not on the verges or in the passing places. For hundreds of free walks to download and print plus details of all the walking clubs in the country and loads more information visit https://www.walkinginengland.co.uk/shropshire/
- Thursday 2nd July 2020 - Abdon and Heath Parish Council Virtual Meeting 8pm. Agenda attached below.
- Corvedate News July 2020 - attached below.
- Community Reassurance Team Update June 2020 - attached below.
- West of The Clee June 2020 - complimentary digital copy attached below. "Dear Friend, please find attached a complimentary copy of the community magazine, West of the Clee. It covers the beautiful area between Clee Hill and Ludlow. We can offer it in digital format or hard copy for £6 per year (may require delivery charge, depends on area). Normally, we cover what’s on in the area but at the moment, of course, events are restricted, but our contributors have still had plenty to write about with topics ranging from medieval history to faster broadband, and from business support to sprouting seeds. Do get in touch if you’d like to subscribe, with Ruth Ellis on firstname.lastname@example.org or 01584 823526. We hope to hear from you! Linda Fowler email@example.com editor, West of the Clee magazine."
- Corvedale News June 2020 - digital version attached below.
- 25th June to 20th June 2020 - Severn Trent works on the B4368 at Corfton, near Craven Arms. STW are currently ahead of schedule and the 4 way traffic lights which are going to be used at the junction of The Sun Inn Public house, and which were to be put in place between the 13 July 2020 and the 24 July 2020, will now be in use from the 25 June 2020 until 30 June 2020.
- Monday 15th June for 2 weeks - Road Closure Holdgate Flood Relief Culvert. Bridge repair works which require the closure of Holdgate Flood Relief Culvert which carries Holdgate Lane over the Trow Brook between Holdgate and Brookhampton. Traffic will be diverted via Rowe Lane. You can view the closure and diversion route by clicking here: https://one.network/?tm=117133046 Access over the bridge for pedestrians and dismounted cyclists will remain available at all times.
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Help and Information:
- Gov.uk: Coronavirus (COVID-19): what you need to do
- Latest Government updates about COVID-19, visit www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- Shropshire Council Helpline - Shropshire Council has set up a dedicated COVID 19 helpline to help those who are vulnerable and in need of assistance. The Helpline is 0345 678 9028.
- Coronavirus - we're here to help. See the useful contact list attached below.
- Shropshire Newsroom - all the latest news and advice from Shropshire Council.
- Letter to residents from the Leader of Shropshire Council - attached below.
- Food Parcels - If someone needs food directly as a result of Covid 19, they should call Shropshire Council on 0345 678 9028 where they will go through a triage process for food to see which route of support they should have. If they need food due to general lack of funds, they should call the Welfare Support Team on 0345 678 9078. For information on coronavirus food parcels in Shropshire see: coronavirus-food-parcels-most-vulnerable/
- Community Reassurance Update - including: Covid-19 helpline, financial support for community groups, keeping Shropshire warm service, mental health, good things to do at home, virtual youth clubs.
- Interactive maps to show support services across Shropshire: https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2020/05/19/interactive-maps-show-support-services-across-shropshire/
Medical Help and Advice:
- NHS: Advice for everyone
- NHS: Advice for people at higher risk
- Anyone with coronavirus symptoms who needs medical advice should use the dedicated NHS 111 COVID-19 service online, www.111.nhs.uk/COVID-19.
- Information for People Requiring Repeat Prescriptions - Attached below.
- Urgent Care Centres at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford and the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital are temporarily relocating to the Minor Injury Units in Whitchurch and Bridgnorth to form two Urgent Treatment Centres (UTCs). The relocation will happen on Thursday 16 April 2020. See document attached below for full details.
- What is the Difference between Hay Fever and Coronavirus? Typical hay fever symptoms include a runny or blocked nose, sneezing, sore and watering eyes – but also sometimes a cough. A continuous dry cough is one of the main symptoms of COVID-19 as well as a high temperature and loss of, or change in, your normal sense of smell or taste (anosmia). If you are concerned that your symptoms are different or more severe than normal, contact NHS 111 online or by phone or contact your local GP practice. In any event, it is still important to bin used tissues, keep washing your hands, and only leave your home for necessary journeys and exercise to reduce the risk of spreading or contracting COVID-19. It is also important to take antihistamines to reduce sneezing – which could transmit the virus if you were unknowingly carrying it.
Local Support Groups:
- Corvedale Helping Hands - If you, or anyone you know of, are in need of a 'helping hand' and would like to take advantage of these kind offers of assistance, please feel free to contact any of the people listed in the document attached below.
- For anybody in need of assistance during self isolation there are also informal groups willing to help including the Brown Clee Surgery PPG and Ditton Priors and Surrounding Areas Facebook group.
- Clee St Margaret Community Support WhatsApp group - you can join by following this link: (please note that you need to click on this link from your smartphone) https://chat.whatsapp.com/ICxeAvAS2dsLt4VUMH5DoH
- Stoke St Milborough support group - you can join here: https://forms.gle/xY3bx4LHFKoEzu889. Here you can also find links to their Facebook and WhatsApp groups.
Abdon and Heath Updates:
- Corvedale News - For the time being the Corvedale News will be produced in digital format only. A PDF version is attached below, it requires Adobe Reader or a similar free program to view it.
- Electrical - Have you got a small household electrical item that needs repair/testing? If so, Dave Boxold may be able to help. Give him a ring or drop him an email to have a chat in the first instance: Home tel: 01746 712766, Mobile: 07792 708 396, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abdon Village Hall Update - Unfortunately we have had to cancel events at the Village Hall for the time being. Message from Margaret Buckingham, Chair of the Abdon Village Hall Committee: "Evening everyone. Given the advice from government I’m sorry to say we will not be able to have the coffee mornings at the Village Hall for the foreseeable future. I really appreciate how important our coffee mornings are so we meet up with friends and neighbours, to chat, laugh a lot and of course eat cake! But as Abdon folks are so supportive of each other, I know we will keep in touch with each other whether by phone, email or other social media. I’ve got a list! Please kindly pass this on to those who I have not included because I don’t yet have contact details. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Take care and keep safe everyone. Warm wishes, Margaret."
- Church Updates - Reverend John Beesley is finding ways of keeping in contact with folks in Corvedale. Please see his letter to the Parishes attached below. He says anyone who needs help or wants a word just let him know. There is a Corvedale Parishes Facebook page that he will be posting messages on as usual. If you are not on Facebook you can Google Corvedale Parishes and see his postings. His number is 01584 841488 and email email@example.com. The Church wardens at St Margaret’s Abdon, Fran Howells and Margaret Buckingham, as well as through John, can get copies of the leaflets that he mentions in his letter to anyone who would like a copy, either electronically or on paper.
- Abdon District Community Wildlife Group Updates - For information on various activities you can take part in such as: mammal recording, the curlew survey, recording of wheatears, recording of butterfly sightings, and the SOS save our curlews campaign appeal visit our Abdon District Community Wildlife Group page.
- Latest Parish Council minutes click here...
- Latest Planning Applications click here...
- Shropshire Council Covid-19 Extension Grant Funding for Small Businesses: to support businesses who to date have been ineligible for Government grant funding. https://shropshire.gov.uk/coronavirus/information-for-businesses-and-the-self-employed/covid-19-extension-grant-funding-for-small-businesses/
- Marches Renewable Energy (MarRE). Grants towards renewable energy projects. See information attached below.
- Message from Severn Trent Water - we need your help to save water and support local charities. Life has changed dramatically over the last three months, and with more of us at home and the prolonged spell of sunny weather there has been unprecedented demand for water, with people using up to 40% more than normal. That’s hundreds of millions of extra litres every day and it’s leading to lower water pressure and even some supply issues in some areas. Our amazing key workers have been working flat out during lockdown to keep water flowing, helping to produce more treated water in the last few days than they’ve ever produced. We have plenty of water in our reservoirs, but there’s only so much that can be treated and carried through the pipes at any time. Which is why our teams need your help to ensure no community, household or vulnerable person goes without water. Please try and save water where you can. In return we’ll donate another £1 million to local charities for every 150 million litres our customers save on average every day between now and the end of June – which sounds like a lot of water, but all it’ll take is for us all to make a few small changes.
- Warmer Homes Shropshire launched to help households lower their heating bills and stay warmer at home. https://newsroom.shropshire.gov.uk/2020/05/help-for-shropshire-residents-as-home-energy-use-rises-during-lockdown/
- Healthwatch Shropshire - www.healthwatchshropshire.co.uk
- Western Power Distribution coronavirus support - As the electricity distribution company in your area, we are doing everything we can to ensure we can keep the lights on – and part of that is looking after the 1.9 million customers on our Priority Services Register (PSR) who might find a power cut difficult, or who are medically dependent on electricity: www.westernpower.co.uk/PSR.
- No Excuse for Abuse - Multi-agency domestic abuse campaign #noexcuseforabuse. Attached below is the Professional Briefing for organisations and frontline workers.
- Latest government guidance on PPE (infection prevention and control): wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control
- Community Reassurance Team (CRT) - A new key service has been created during this pandemic. The CRT will work across the county with our communities in an effort to coordinate support for local residents and businesses. We are working to develop local coordination centres attached to these teams in Ludlow, Bridgnorth, Oswestry, Market Drayton and Shrewsbury (these teams will support all corners of the county). Currently these coordination centres won’t be open to the public but will support the response to needs in the community. More information is attached below.
- Shropshire Mind - We are open Monday to Friday, we will meet people who are in crisis, but with the changes it is majority telephone support. Our number is 01743 368647, the team are great and will assist and support to their best ability.
- Beware scams relating to Covid-19 pandemic - Criminals will use any opportunity they can to take money from innocent people. This includes exploiting tragedies and global emergencies, such as the COVID-19 pandemic, to scam people in a variety of ways. The number of these scams are only likely to increase and we need individuals and businesses to be fully aware and prepared. We are advising people to be particularly vigilant around: Computer Software Service Fraud and Mandate Fraud. Attached is a helpful graphic with protection advice.
- What to do before and after a flood - Environment Agency booklet attached below.
- Connecting Shropshire Broadband programme update - attached below.
Regular events - cancelled for the time being:
- Brown Clee Meditation Group - every Tuesday evening 7pm in Abdon Village Hall. All are welcome at no cost. A leaflet is available from Brown Clee Surgery.
- Coffee morning - last Saturday each month in Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, except for December.
- UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning - 2nd Saturday each month at Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill. Join us and teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments. Phone Penny 712530 or Margaret 712296.
- Church services - second and fourth Sunday of each month at St. Margaret's Church, Abdon. See the St. Margaret's Church page for details.
- Parish Council meetings - usually the last Thursday in January, April, July and October in Abdon Village Hall. See the Parish Council page for details.
- Women's Institute - second Wednesday each month at Clee St.Margaret Village Hall. See the Women's Institute Page for details.
Abdon and Heath Parish Council - Marquee for hire.