News and Events
Abdon welcomes visitors for walking and cycling, but please make sure you park in the Village Hall car park and not on the verges or in the passing places. For hundreds of free walks to download and print plus details of all the walking clubs in the country and loads more information visit https://www.walkinginengland.co.uk/shropshire/
- 24th September - Latest Coronavirus guidelines about hygiene and keeping safe:
- HANDS – wash hands regularly and for 20 seconds,
- FACE – wear a face covering within indoor settings where social distancing may be difficult, and where you will come into contact with people you do not normally meet.
- SPACE – Stay 2 metres apart from people you do not live with where possible; or, if not possible, 1 metre with extra precautions in place.
- 24th September - Community Reassurance Update from Shropshire Council attached below.
- 23rd September - Flu jab invitations on their way. See press release below.
- Corvedale News October 2020 - The Corvedale News will revert to printed copies starting with the October edition. This means that the magazine will no longer be produced electronically. I hope you have enjoyed reading the magazine over the past few months and if you would like to continue with it but are not already a subscriber, please contact your nearest Distributor (see list in September Corvedale News attached below) and request to receive printed copies. Alternatively, send an email to email@example.com and I will make arrangements for you. The Annual cost is £7 for this year.
- Road Closures September/October 2020:
- Sandpits Road, Ludlow - July 2020 to January 2021. See press release:
- Balaams Heath Junction To Former Bridgnorth District Boundary Brookhampton, Holdgate - 23rd to 24th September for Severn Trent Water boundary box and meter installation.
- Hillside, Ditton Priors - 19th to 20th October, for Severn Trent Water remdial works.
- 17th September - Electoral Registration Annual Canvass 2020. Residents living in the Shropshire Council area will have received a communication either by email or in paper format asking them to check and update information that appears on the electoral register for their address. This is to ensure that Shropshire Council can keep the electoral register up-to-date and identify any residents who are not registered so that they can be encouraged to do so. It’s important that residents keep an eye out for messages, which this year for many people, will be in the form of an email, rather than a form through the post. The email will contain a two-part security code and a link to a secure registration website. Electors should carefully follow the instructions contained in the voter registration message, so that Shropshire Council can make sure that they have all the right details on the electoral register for every address in its area. Voters are being encouraged to complete their online registration but may, if they prefer call our Customer Services Team on 0345 678 9015, who can assist them with their registration over the telephone. If you’re not currently registered, your name will not appear in the messages we send. If you need to register, the easiest way is online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote, or we’ll send you information explaining how to do this in the post. This year’s canvass, which we have to carry out by law, is taking place during a challenging public health situation. We are working hard to ensure that we take account of public health guidelines, including the continued importance of social distancing. People who have moved recently are particularly encouraged to look out for our voter communications and check the details. Research by the Electoral Commission indicates that recent home movers are far less likely to be registered, than those who have lived at the same address for a long time. Across Great Britain, 92% of people who have been at their property for more than sixteen years will be registered, compared to 36% of people who have lived at an address for less than one year.
- Saturday 12th September - Butterfly walk, Nordy Bank. Meet at 2pm. A group is limited to 6 people, if more than 6 people wish to attend we can have more than one group. If you wish to attend you need to pre-book with Miles. Can those people who let Karl know that they would like to attend please let Miles know if they still wish to attend on Saturday. Good idea to bring binoculars if you have them. We will be taking contact details for track & trace purposes and social distancing.
- Corvedale News September 2020 - Attached below.
- Connecting Shropshire Broadband August 2020 Update - Attached below.
- Abdon & District Community Wildlife Group We’re back! We hope you have all come through the recent months well. Although the pandemic brought all group activities to a standstill, the curlew survey managed to take place, and many butterfly records made in gardens, and on walks have been sent in, and members have made all manner of other wildlife observations. We should be able to again put together an (albeit slim) annual report. We now want to arrange some Group events while there is a little summer left. But of course we have to include new precautions in our plans. From now we will have a limit of six people on any one event. We ask you to “book” in advance with the event leader/organiser. You will be asked to give a telephone number, should we have to implement “track and trace”. If there is big demand, we’ll try and put a repeat/similar event together. At each event we ask everyone to follow government guidance. More detail will be sent direct to those attending each event. We have the following events planned:
- Sunday 30th August - Bat Evening at Ashfield Coppice (Karl’s Wood) If you would like to attend, please email Karl, you will then be sent the meeting details.
- Date to be arranged - Butterfly survey on Clee Liberty Common.
- Date to be arranged - Waxcap Fungi on Clee Liberty Common.
- Digital Skills for Shropshire Citizens - Help to Get Online for Over 65s. Do you feel a little lost using technology? Need help using the internet? Do you feel nervous about using a computer or frustrated about being left behind as everything seems to be online these days? Research shows that there are more people age 65+ in Shropshire who are not online than in other parts of the UK – which means older people are missing out. See the document attached below for more details. For more information about this service, please contact Andrea Miller, Shropshire Council’s Digital Champion Lead on 01743 254834 (available Tues, Weds & Fri) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thursday 13th August 2020 - Abdon and Heath Parish Council AGM, 7.30pm via zoom. See Minutes attached below.
- Bereavement support for Shropshire residents - call 0345 6789028. A new service has been launched to support people who are experiencing and suffering from bereavement and loss. The offer is open to any Shropshire resident who has been bereaved by either a recent death or previous loss. The Bereavement Support Service is operated by Shropshire Council and community voluntary partners Samaritans, CRUSE, Severn Hospice and Crane Quality Counselling. The service can be accessed through self-referral by calling 0345 678 9028. The Bereavement Support Service is accompanied by the launch of a grief and bereavement during COVID19 booklet which provides a compassionate overview of coping with loss, feelings that may be experienced, supporting others who are grieving and links to help and information. A secondary booklet provides a practical guide for the process following a death and what has changed due to the pandemic. Digital versions of these resources are available from the Shropshire Council website bereavement page at: https://www.shropshire.gov.uk/bereavement-services/support-and-resources-for-those-recently-bereaved/
- Free central heating for eligible households: https://newsroom.shropshire.gov.uk/2020/07/free-central-heating/
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Help and Information:
- Latest Government updates about COVID-19, visit www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- Shropshire Council Helpline - Shropshire Council has set up a dedicated COVID 19 helpline to help those who are vulnerable and in need of assistance, including food parcels. The Helpline is 0345 678 9028.
- Coronavirus - we're here to help. See the useful contact list attached below.
- August 2020 - Community Reassurance Update from Shropshire Council attached below.
- Are you experiencing financial difficulty related to COVID-19? Worried about keeping your home? Please call the Council’s Welfare Support Team on 0345 678 9078 The Welfare Support Team can provide you with help, support, advice and signposting. See flyer attached below for more information.
- Shropshire Newsroom - all the latest news and advice from Shropshire Council.
Medical Help and Advice:
- NHS: Advice for everyone
- NHS: Advice for people at higher risk
- Anyone with coronavirus symptoms who needs medical advice should use the dedicated NHS 111 COVID-19 service online, www.111.nhs.uk/COVID-19.
- Information for People Requiring Repeat Prescriptions - Attached below.
- Urgent Care Centres at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford and the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital are temporarily relocating to the Minor Injury Units in Whitchurch and Bridgnorth to form two Urgent Treatment Centres (UTCs). The relocation will happen on Thursday 16 April 2020. See document attached below for full details.
Abdon and Heath Updates:
- Corvedale Helping Hands - If you, or anyone you know of, are in need of a 'helping hand' and would like to take advantage of these kind offers of assistance, please feel free to contact any of the people listed in the Corvedale News Helping Hands page attached below.
- Electrical - Have you got a small household electrical item that needs repair/testing? If so, Dave Boxold may be able to help. Give him a ring or drop him an email to have a chat in the first instance: Home tel: 01746 712766, Mobile: 07792 708 396, Email: email@example.com
- Abdon Village Hall Update - Unfortunately we have had to cancel events at the Village Hall for the time being.
- Church Updates - Please see the latest Corvedale News attached below for updates from Reverend John Beesley. There is a Corvedale Parishes Facebook page that he will be posting messages on as usual. If you are not on Facebook you can Google Corvedale Parishes and see his postings. His number is 01584 841488 and email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Latest Parish Council minutes click here...
- Latest Planning Applications click here...
Regular events - cancelled for the time being:
- Brown Clee Meditation Group - every Tuesday evening 7pm in Abdon Village Hall. All are welcome at no cost. A leaflet is available from Brown Clee Surgery.
- Coffee morning - last Saturday each month in Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm, except for December.
- UFO (Un Finished Objects) craft morning - 2nd Saturday each month at Abdon Village Hall 10.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your unfinished projects. Join us and learn a new craft skill. Join us and teach your craft skills to someone else. Please supply your own materials. Please make a donation for refreshments. Phone Penny 712530 or Margaret 712296.
- Church services - second and fourth Sunday of each month at St. Margaret's Church, Abdon. See the St. Margaret's Church page for details.
- Parish Council meetings - usually the last Thursday in January, April, July and October in Abdon Village Hall. See the Parish Council page for details.
- Women's Institute - second Wednesday each month at Clee St.Margaret Village Hall. See the Women's Institute Page for details.
Abdon and Heath Parish Council - Marquee for hire.