We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

BHDPC Planning Procedure

Bomere Heath & District Parish Council BHDPC Planning Policy


The Planning Process is as follows.

Planning Procedure

When you need planning permission:

  • ·       to build something new
  • ·       to make a major change to your building eg. Extension
  • ·       to change a use of your property

The Planning Process

Step 1 – The Application

In the first instance, applicants (where required to under statutory planning guidance) must make application to Shropshire County Planning Authority. Although it is true that some alterations and extensions may not require planning consent and will be classified as Permitted Development, it is always advisable to contact Shropshire County Planning for advice and to avoid expensive errors, as each case is unique.

Step 2 – Notification

When a local planning authority receives a planning application it is a legal requirement to publicise it.  Notices that can be seen by passers-by must be posted at the site and adjoining properties notified. For any applications for large developments there must also be a notice included in the local newspaper. We also recommend a small advert in the Bomere Heath Parish News (contact number 01939 290200).

Step 3 – Consultation

It is current practice that Shropshire County Council will advise neighbours with a common boundary to the site as well as the Parish Council and other organisations such as the Local Highways Authority, Severn Trent Water Authority, Natural England for wildlife issues and the Environment Agency.

Step 4 - The Parish Council (PC) Procedure

Shropshire County Council Planning Authority appoint a planning expert to oversee each planning application, ultimately it will be this department that will decide the outcome of every application. The role of the PC throughout the process is primarily to deliberate and to comment based on predetermined local matters of importance.

It is generally considered by the Planning Authority that Parish Councillors are geographically and socially closer to each development and therefore more in touch with the needs of the area, the sustainability of each project and its effect on the aesthetic, cultural and social growth of any development. The PC can facilitate representations at the PC monthly meetings and if deemed necessary will arrange site meetings. It is not uncommon for a planning decision to be made by the County Authority that goes against the deliberations and decisions of the PC. The final decision rests with the Planning Department..

Step 5 - Duration of the PC deliberations

The clerk to the PC will receive a notice of application and then the PC has 31 days to discuss and comment. Councillors are apprised immediately and can discuss and comment on it on the lead up to and during a monthly meeting. All councillors can access applications on the Planning Portal:

If such an application arrives shortly before a monthly meeting with insufficient time for deliberation, and if necessary, voting, then a short extension can be arranged. Please note that the Parish Council break for summer and don’t meet in August.

It is the PC’s position, that for any application received during this time for the PC to request an immediate without prejudice extension until September. This is particularly done with larger developments.

Step 6 – The Right to Representation

An applicant and any persons affected by the application may request to address the PC in order to support or object to it. Should you wish to address the Parish Council please contact the clerk via email:

Please review our policy for more details