Accept and Continue

Cookies on this site

This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.
Skip to main content

Chairman's Monthly update

I have recently returned from trips to both France and Greece which were both enjoyable but also very different from the times before Covid. There were concerns regarding whether flights would be cancelled or delayed. We had to fill in various pre-departure Covid forms and have our proof of vaccination. Also, as we have left the EU, passports were stamped once again at each entry and exit point. The media talk of massive queues at airports, however, did not materialise and overall, it was a delight to once again be travelling and experiencing different countries and cultures. The weather was also considerably hotter than the cool spring we have been experiencing. As we move towards and beyond midsummer the weather does seem to have improved and the hills around Temple Ewell are lush and green. Certainly one of the jobs I had to tackle on my return was mowing the grass!

There has also been plenty happening in the village and where better to start but the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations.

Between my trips I visited the village field on the 2nd June to be met with a large number of families enjoying the bouncy castle and obstacle course, taking part in the fancy dress and enjoying their picnics. Later on in the day a good crowd of people, many with a drink in hand gathered around the village beacon at sunset which was duly lit by Steve Grayson who was involved with the original installation of the beacon.

On the 3rd June a congregation gathered at the Church of St Peter and St Paul for “Jubilee Songs of Praise” with Rev Ian Parrish followed by excellent refreshments in the Millennium Hall. This coincided with the service of thanksgiving in London at St Pauls Cathedral.

We had a breather on Saturday 4th June as the Newsletter event in the Village Hall was cancelled.

However, villagers gathered once again on the afternoon of 5th June in Mill Street for a traditional Street Party which featured music and entertainment whilst enjoying the refreshments they had brought.

I would like to thank all of those who helped with the organisation of the proceedings and in particular Alyson Grayson and Cllr Kirsty Price for co-ordinating activities over the weekend.

The next village event is the “Rock for Rog” music festival on the 30th July. This is a repeat of the event that was held in 2021 and will again feature several bands between 1.00pm and 9.00pm in the King George V Playing Field in memory of Roger Marsden. It will also once again be raising money for Cancer Research and food and drink will be available.

We have arranged the annual Village Footpath Walk for Sunday 11th September, meeting outside the Lower Village Hall at 1.00pm followed by refreshments provided by the WI. On the matter of footpaths, the path up onto Scotland Common from the top of Church Hill is very overgrown and we have requested with KCC that it is cut back.

On the issue of planning, we have heard that that the proposed plan to build 3 storey flats in the Kearsney Station Goods Yard has been refused by DDC. Parish Council had objected to this plan because of the large size of the proposed development. We have also heard that the plan to build in the garden of Stalisfield Lodge has been approved but with a number of conditions.

It has recently been reported that there has been a rise in Dog Fouling in and around the village. Please can I ask those walking their dogs to make sure that they act responsibly and clear up any dog mess and dispose of it preferably in one of the various dog bins around the village. Those who allow their dogs to foul are at risk of being fined. Dover District Council have a team that can be called on to monitor any dog fouling and can also issue fines and warnings.

Just an update on the DDC Local Plan. The Public Consultation on this has been delayed as there has been a prioritisation for highways to improve the traffic flow around the Whitfield Roundabout.

I am just about to go for a walk up on the hills around the village and look forward to updating you ion September.

Glenn Mousley – Chairman of the Parish Council

June 2022

Glenn Mousley - Parish Council Chairman Glenn Mousley - Parish Council Chairman