Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

2019 AGM Minutes

MINUTES OF THE BRACKNELL CAVALIERS GOLF SOCIETY

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD AT DOWNSHIRE ON

THURSDAY 17th OCTOBER 2019

Those present:

Graham Pearce, Ray Penfold, Tim Houghton, Colin Staunton-Lambert,Steve Adams, Philip Faulkner, Richard Faulkner, Nigel Jackson, Terry Harmsworth(Jun), Trevor Rockett, Trevor Harvey, Derrick Anscomb, Andy North, Alan Papps, Warwick Pearce

The Meeting opened at 19.35

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE:

Bob Jackson, Steve Zsibrita, Mike Barton, Terry Harmsworth (Sen), Michael Clothier, Kevin England, Stephen Nower, Barrie Smith, Phil Parsons, Chris Anscomb

2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

Passed

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

None

4. CAPTAINS REPORT – Richard Faulkner

I need to start by thanking others (and in particular Trevor) for taking the reins as fill-in captain at a particularly high number of events this year. Unfortunately, certain health issues prevented me from playing and being able to swing a club (ever worse than before, believe it or not!). Many congratulations though to everybody who did succeed in hitting the ball a bit straighter and longer than I did to notch up a win. A special mention in particular to those who claimed podium places in one of the most closely fought Grand Prix’s I can remember. Well done to Alan and Paul for claiming joint second spot, although participially to Nige for a late charge to claim victory. Also, well done to Tim for winning the Matchplay Competition.

The selection of courses (out of those I played) was the best I can remember in 8 years as part of the society, so thanks as ever goes to Colin, Graham and Ray for their work in researching, haggling and testing courses to make sure we get to play at quality courses we probably shouldn’t be let anywhere near to!

This year was also my first weekend outing. Despite playing some truly appalling golf (although somehow getting 2.5 points over the three rounds), the course was excellent and it was a great turnout. Thanks to Dereck and Tim for skippering so well and of course to Steve for all his efforts in organising the weekend away once again.

Finally, I’ve already mentioned most of them, although there are a few people who put in countless hours of their time to ensure that the society runs so well and the rest of us can enjoy our golf.  To Ray, for all his great work organising the outings and keeping everybody informed of what’s happening in the society. A big thanks to Tim… not only for organising the groups for each outing and then updating handicaps and competition results afterwards, but for his hard work after each match, working out the winners (and most importantly the Captain’s competition) whilst the rest of us relax in the bar. Graham continues to ensure that the finances of the society are in safe hands.

It’s been great to see membership of the society stay strong, including the introduction of new players (some depressingly too good for their age…. Steve N!), plus faces of those who were hacking around Bracknell courses before I was born!

Looking forward to making a re-appearance later this month, and delighted to pass the baton over to Trevor (even though this really happened a few months ago!)

5. SECRETARYS REPORT

The Secretary started that this year has not gone quite as smoothly as in the past few years.

On the playing side, everything continues to function reasonably well, although it didn’t begin too well with the cancelling of the Winter Trophy in December, and with that, the planned Anniversary lunch afterwards. This will be addressed in AOB at the end of the meeting. He stated that this year again, he has had to chase up members to get their replies as regards their attendance at outings. On top of that, he has also found it necessary to chase people up for payment days after the deadline. This is quite an embarrassing task to undertake, so he would ask all members to please pay for their events at the same time as confirming their attendance. The Secretary again repeated his request to everybody to please reply to his reminder emails about attendance or non-attendance at the monthly events, so that he knows who will be attending. Numbers can usually be adjusted upwards, so if you are not sure of your availability at the time, please let him know that, so that he can inform the course that our numbers may increase, and then follow up nearer to the cut-off dates. Also, if at the last minute you (or a guest) can’t make it on the day, please let him know, so that he can negotiate with the course about payment. This is usually OK, but the earlier he can contact the course, the better, so please do this as early as possible. If anybody requires an early or late tee off time on the day, then please let him know so that it can be passed on to Tim to arrange.

We booked two new course this year - Blacknest & Milford - which both proved popular. Other than that, the courses used were all tried and tested before, although South Bucks had not been visited for a few years.

He went on to thank the rest of the committee for their support throughout the year, with special thanks to Colin for ensuring that the web-site is kept up to date, and for arranging the wine & trophies. Thanks also to Graham for continuing to keep our financial matters in order, and to Tim for all his hard work in conjuring up new team games, and for all the work in collating the scores on the day.

Our membership stood at 35 this year, with some returning members. The average attendance at the outings this year was up on last year at 23, thanks in part to a few more guests appearing, which is always good to see. The May weekend this year was at Gatton Manor, with a superb turn-out of 28 members. Everybody appeared to enjoy a great time, so thanks again to Steve for continuing to organise the event so well. This event continues to prove very popular, with, at present, 24 down to attend next year’s event at Cottesmore.

6. TREASURERS REPORT

We will be carrying forward a balance of £2471.45 over to the start of our next playing year which is a slight increase of £154.57 over last year. However, this an actual decrease as about £300.00 of this has already been allocated for lunch and a drink at the Winter Trophy which was cancelled last year.

32 paying members brought in subscriptions of £640.00 although we have 35 with our honorary members. We had to purchase a new camera, extra polo shirts/towels and golfballs, but no other major purchases.

Allowing for the £300.00 at Downshire and no other proposed major purchases I would recommend the use of around £800.00 for event subsidies next year. Trying to keep the events in the £40 - £50 range to keep it attractive to all is increasingly difficult with the next step up to a superior course being £60 to £80.

Propose to keep the annual subscription at £20.00

The new paying in book system has worked 100% and thanks to all those who used it. Once you pay into your bank by this method it usually hits ours the same/next day. Bank transfers working well but still some without reference. If you mail Ray about a payment, copy me in and I will confirm receipt.

Thanks to Ray, Tim, Colin and Steve for their help through the year.

7. HANDICAP SECRETARYS REPORT

Some good performances from several players this year with more than normal reducing their handicaps over the year – well done.

A big thank you as ever goes to Ray for making my life easy by providing all the names and cards for me to process.

Hopefully people enjoyed the team games and as ever I tried to introduce some new ones alongside the favourites If anyone has something they would like to try then let me know as even if it does not fit the team format we play I can often adapt it.

Final plea is that if you need an early or late tee time, please let me know as early as possible because changing it after I have issued the sheet is a pain, especially when I have to balance handicaps for the team section.

8. ELECTION OF OFFICERS

Captain: Trevor Rockett   (Nominated Ray Penfold, Seconded Steve Adams)

Vice Captain: Trevor Harvey  (Nominated Ray Penfold, Seconded Graham Pearce)

Secretary: Ray Penfold  (Nominated Steve Adams, Seconded Colin Staunton-Lambert)

Treasurer: Graham Pearce  (Nominated Trevor Rockett, Seconded Ray Penfold)

Handicap Secretary: Tim Houghton  (Nominated Steve Adams, Seconded Graham Pearce)

Competitions Secretary: Tim Houghton  (Nominated Steve Adams, Seconded Graham Pearce)

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

A. Course for Summer Trophy – Steve Adams suggested that we look to find a better course to play the Summer Trophy, as it is one of the main Trophies of the year. A discussion followed regarding costs and subsidies, and it was agreed that we should look into the possibility of funding a better course, but also bearing in mind that the added costs could possibly turn members off playing.

B. Anniversary celebrations re-visited – The secretary informed the meeting that as the Anniversary celebration was cancelled last year due to the weather, the Society would be funding lunch and a drink following this year's Winter Trophy instead. Christmas Jumpers to be worn, or the Handicap Secretary will penalise you two shots on the day.

There being no other business, the Meeting closed at 20.30