Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Wexham Park 5 June 2022

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Wexham Park 5 June 2022

Wexham Park Golf Club Sunday 5 June 2022

by Nick Houghton

Considering how the week preceeding the Wexham Park event had been going, winning the Stableford alongside the Father and Son competition hadn't even crossed my mind.

A freak Ultimate Frisbee injury the weekend before had left me with a banged up shoulder. To compound this my playing partner for the weekend had a back injury (I blame old age) so neither of us thought we would be in the situation we ended up in.

The day started with drama from the off with a parked car incident but more notably a lost dog causing havoc on the Windsor bypass. Skip forwards 20 minutes of me running round like a headless chicken on the A332 and my Dad crawling under cars, the dog was fortunately caught. Safe to say the gridlocked traffic behind us weren't best pleased with the situation.

Despite this, we made it on time to the partially developed Wexham Park which was notably a lot shorter since the last outing there. The first highlight of the round came from our playing partner for the day, Kevin, who holed out on the 3rd hole for a gross Eagle with two shots for a six pointer!

With a pair of 16 points after the front 9, I decided someone had to carry the team. I found a rhythm that was working for myself and the shorter nature of the course played to my strengths (i.e. not having to drive the ball).

Good quality greens allowed for me to convert these opportunities and resulted in 26 points on the back nine for a score of 42! My dad came in with a total score of 35 points and it was enough to win the father and son for the 3rd time in a row and be called a bandit for the rest of the day!

Given that this was the last event before my handicap got set maybe I should have saved this round for a later date.

Congratulations to Steve Nower winning nearest the pin with 1ft 8in, the sleeve of balls you have won are being located as you speak!

Congratulations as well to Trevor Harnsworth Snr who took runners-up in the stableford with an impressive 39pts, your golf balls are also being located!

I won't be there for the next outing at Chiddingford but I hear it is a very nice course so enjoy and good luck!

RESULTS

Winner Nick Houghton 42 pts

Runner up Terry Harmsworth (S) 39 pts

Third Philip Faulkner 38 pts

Nearest the pin Stephen Nower 1’ 8”

Father and Son Tim and Nick Houghton 77 pts