Ampfield to Hursley
The White Horse, Ampfield: an old coaching inn and one of the oldest buildings in the Parish of Ampfield, dating from about 1550.
Ampfield War Memorial: The first person named on the War Memorial, Carol Awdry, was brother to the creator of 'Thomas the Tank Engine'.
St Marks Church, Ampfield, occupies a prominent position amidst fine firs and cedars. The church was designed in the Early English style by Owen Carter and William Yonge, who also designed St Matthew's Church, Otterbourne, at the instigation of Sir William Heathcote (5th Baronet) and John Keble. It was constructed, of a distinctive blue brick with honey coloured stone dressings, at a cost of £3,000 in 1841. The spire was copied from Lee Delamere and a window from Lincoln Cathedral. Before the church was built Ampfield was part of Hursley parish.
The fountain in the church grounds was erected by Sir-William and Lady Heathcote. The spring which supplied the water came from one of the original springs which gave Ampfield its name (until very late in the 18th century Ampfield was spelled Anfield, "AN" being the Celtic word for water or spring).
Hursley's stone seat commemorates the embarkation for France on the 4th November 1914 of the 8th Division of the British Army. All the units that marched through this entrance to the Estate, after encamping in the park, are listed on the seat, including a company of cyclists.
Hursley Park Cricket Club: winners of the UK Village Cricket Trophy at Lord's in 1992.
Hursley House is now the location of IBM United Kingdom and was used during the war and immediately after by Vickers Aviation. It was here that work took place which led to the development of the Spitfire fighter plane. Originally built by Sir William Heathcote (1st Baronet) between 1720 and 1724. The building has been subjected to alterations and additions continuously since then.