Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Historical Society

We meet on the second Monday of the Month at the Community Centre, SP11 0AX

Click here to go to our web site

Covid-19: All meetings and trips are cancelled

Please check back here for more information when the current restrictions are lifted.

About the Historical Society

The programme of events for 2019 - 20 is now available and you can view it here. All meetings will be held on the second Monday of the month at the Hurstbourne Tarrant Community Centre. Volunteer members will be on hand to provide, at a modest charge, tea, coffee, soft drinks and beer and wine.

"Hurstbourne Tarrant at War" - this 106 page document contains records of all who served in the first and second world wars, local reporting from the time and colour and black and white photographs. If you would like a copy, priced £5, please contact Andy Watson - details below. All profits will go to St Peter's Church, Hurstbourne Tarrant.

Chairman: Andy Watson  e-mail: EMail  Telephone No.: 01264 736459

Secretary: vacant

The Hurstbourne Tarrant Historical Society is a group of people who are interested in the history of the village and surrounding area. The society was formally constituted in May 2010 and meets monthly with the exception of July, August and January. All meetings, except for outside visits, take place at Hurstbourne Tarrant Community Centre (SP11 0AX) . Please see the programme of events for full details of what is happening.

The society aims to look into various aspects of history whether local, social, family or archaeological. Society meetings will cover various subjects and ideas for new subjects or studies are most welcome from members. The constitution defines the full list of the aims of the society.

If you would like to join please contact any member of the committee or you can download and complete a Membership Application.

The committee is made up of five members who are listed below along with a brief introduction to who they are and what projects they are currently working on.

Andy Watson, Chairman – I moved to the village in 1989 and my main interest is industrial archaeology. I have also been involved in Iron Age experimental archaeology as well as digging at a Roman metal smelting site on a cold and wet Welsh hilltop.

Mike Nash, Programme Officer – I’ve lived in the village almost 18 years and interested in everything! At the moment am looking at the "ritual marks" in our church and hope to publish shortly, I will then be starting work with Kim Vella on past village pubs.

Sarah Gould, Membership Officer & Treasurer – I’ve lived in the village since 1989 and have studied field archaeology. I work as a volunteer in the archives section of the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust. I’m currently writing blog entries on archaeological work for the Hampshire Cultural Trust at Chilcomb.

Michael Bateman, Publicity Officer

Margaret Jensen, Committee Member

The full list of current projects that the committee and other society members are involved in is below, along with who are working on them. 

The ritual marks in the local church (Mike Nash)

Pubs & Malthouses (Mike Nash & Kim Vella)

The early 20th century memoirs of Percy Ball, a local gardener (Margaret Jensen)

If you would like more information on the society, anything it is working on or would like to join please see the contact details at the top of the page.

New members are always welcome. Also if you can contribute to the society archives in any way that would be much appreciated; we would love to hear from anyone who could loan or send us photographs, documents etc that are associated with the villages of Hurstbourne Tarrant, Upton and the Hamlet of Ibthorpe.

Hurstbourne Tarrant Parish Historical Society