Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Lickey Hills Garage

Lickey Hills Garage - memories from Jean-Luc Addams

There was no canopy just the sign and old block pumps. there was a lean-to in the corner where the pump attendant sat. They also sold matchbox cars by the window - I wonder why I remember that? Next to the lean-to was an air hose for tyres. we used to pump up our bike tyres with it. My grandfather Les knew the owners very well so I spent quite a few Saturdays round the back watching the cars being fixed and people being covered in oil. The big windows at the front were where car spare were sold. fan belts etc. It had a tall counter that I could never see over so I must have been very young at the time. It always smelt of tea and oil and wood. It has big signs for Lucas, Champion and stacks of Castrol oil in the window.

Hillside Garage by Sue Hughes

Previously Lickey Hills Garage was known as Gracelands Garage because the owner was a big Elvis Presley fan. New signage was fitted 15 January 2009, when the new owner Craig Powell had the car repair and MOT business. Car sales were run by a separate business. Locals will remember this as Hillside Garage, the garage/filling station owned and run by Les Morris. The pumps went first then after he retired it was taken on by the Elvis fan. Rumour has it that one night over the Christmas holidays 2007 a passing motorist called out the police because of "a drunken reveller playing a guitar on the roof". At some time Elvis was stol;en and broken up, several neighbours found pieces left on their doorsteps. The current owner of Lickey Hill Garage has spent a long time searching and eventually found another Elvis. He comes out from time to time and is changed to the lamppost. 

1 August 2023 copyright Sue Hughes 1 August 2023 copyright Sue Hughes
As remembered by Jean-Luc Addams As remembered by Jean-Luc Addams
Previously know as Graceland Garage now known as Lickey Hills Garage. New signage fitted 15 January 2009.  Copyright Roy Hughes Previously know as Graceland Garage now known as Lickey Hills Garage. New signage fitted 15 January 2009. Copyright Roy Hughes
6 December, 2008 copyright Mike Dodman 6 December, 2008 copyright Mike Dodman
3 April 2020 Copyright Roy Hughes 3 April 2020 Copyright Roy Hughes