LINTON PARK ALMSHOUSES
(formerly Sir Anthony Mayne’s Almshouses)
Registered Charity No.262420
Member of The Almshouse Association - No.1465
Linton Park Almshouses are situated in the centre of the village of Linton, on the main bus route, next to the Church. There are 5 one-bedroom cottages, which are let unfurnished and consist of living room, fitted kitchen (without appliances), bedroom and bathroom. There is a small garden for each house, which residents are encouraged to look after, and a communal garden.
Residents are appointed by the Trustees and contribute to the upkeep of the property by way of a weekly maintenance contribution, which is set in line with the Rent Officer’s recommendations for a fair rent. This includes heating, hot water and other facilities.
If you would be interested in learning more about the Almshouses, in becoming a Trustee, please contact the Clerk to the Trustees. When vacancies occur the vacancy is advertised locally and prospective residents interviewed by the Trustees. Preference is given to those having connections with Linton, but appointments are made on a needs basis.
CLERK TO THE TRUSTEES
Mrs K Cooper
Linton Hill, Linton
Maidstone ME17 4AW
Tel: 01622 741494
The Almshouses were built and endowed by Sir Anthony Mayne of Linton Place, in 1610, for four poor estate workers’ families and widows of good character. In 1749 Robert Mann rebuilt them, when he was rebuilding Linton Park House, including the distinctive gables and finials. He also increased the original stipends of 13 shillings and fourpence to 20 shillings for each family.
Gradually they became available for others not connected with the estate and modest rents were imposed. In 1971 Mr and Mrs R Daubeny, (then owners of Linton Park) renovated the Almshouses, creating an extra house and losing the original very tall chimneys that other estate cottages had, and some still have. At that time they were put on a fair rent basis.
Historical documents state that “the almshouses are for the occupation, rent free, by poor persons of good character, preference being given to applicants who are for the time being residents of the civil parish of Linton”.
The Charity is run in accordance with schemes prepared by the Charity Commission. The first scheme was sealed on 16 June 1922 and various subsequent schemes made alterations to it. Another comprehensive scheme to bring matters up to date was sealed on 7 December 1973.
The Charity is administered by voluntary trustees. Day-to-day administration is carried out by the Clerk.
Almshouses are unfurnished dwellings, usually specially designed with the needs of older people in mind. The aim is to provide convenient and comfortable accommodation in a setting which allows residents to come and go as they please. Almshouses provide security and there is an emergency call system in each unit. In an emergency, such as sudden illness or after a fall, a resident can get help quickly.
For more information on Almshouses generally, contact
The Almshouse Association
Berks RG40 5RU
Tel: 01344 452922