Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

2022 AGM Minutes

MINUTES OF THE BRACKNELL CAVALIERS GOLF SOCIETY

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD AT DOWNSHIRE ON

THURSDAY 13th OCTOBER 2022

Those present:

Graham Pearce, Ray Penfold, Tim Houghton, Colin Staunton-Lambert, Richard Faulkner, Nigel Jackson, Trevor Harvey, Andy North, Alan Papps, Michael Clothier, Kevin England, Barrie Smith,

The Meeting opened at 19.30

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE:

Steve Zsibrita, Stephen Nower, Steve Adams, Philip Faulkner, Terry Harmsworth(Jun), Steve Faulkner, Nick Houghton, Bob Jackson, Trevor Stannett

2. MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

Passed

3. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

None

4. CAPTAINS REPORT – Trevor Harvey

Well, I would like to thank you all for putting up with me for the last year. I think its been a very enjoyable year.

Personally I played well enough to retain my handicap of 28.

Ray gave us a great selection of courses to play although I found Chiddingfold “challenging” (I must remember my crampons next time).

I would like to thank all my playing partners for their company and good humour.

Many thanks to Tim for his time and patience in organising the cards, rotas and his confusing games.

Thanks also to Graham for extracting monies from us and handling the finances.

Special thanks to Ray for organising all the venues and the admin that comes with it. I sincerely hope somebody steps forward to take over from Ray when he retires.

Best wishes to Andy North for the next 12 months. He has had a tough time lately so I hope all goes well.

5. SECRETARYS REPORT

It was great to get back to normal, after 2 years of disrupted golf due to Covid. There were still a number of unavoidable late changes due to members having to withdraw at very short notice, but any problems on my part were easily dealt with as all the courses were very understanding. However it did give Graham a few headaches with all the credits, so I would like to give special thanks to him for keeping the books in order throughout.

We managed to get our full quota of 10 outings this year, with an average attendance of 20, which I think is pretty good considering people have been trying to catch up with missed holidays from the past two years. I think everybody enjoyed the choice of courses, which included one new course at Chiddingfold. Oddly enough, this proved a very challenging course, with nearly everybody coming in absolutely shattered, but with most saying they would like to play there again. Our Membership this year stood at 33- which included 1 new member, The weekend break also went ahead in May, for the first time since 2019, with 16 attendees at The Cotswold (not Bicester as originally planned). Next years outing is already booked for Old Thorns, with again, 16 members making the trip. Thanks again to Steve Zsibrita, who despite now residing in Norfolk, still continues to organise these very enjoyable breaks.

Thanks also to Colin for continuing to organise the wine/trophies, and for keeping the web-site up and date, and to Tim for continuing to organise our running orders, the sometimes very strange team games and for publishing the results promptly afterwards. Finally, thanks to most of you for getting your replies and your payments in to myself and Graham on time, although there are still 2 or 3 of you that I have to chase up.

Finally, again, as last year, on a personal note. As you all know, I was looking to stand down as secretary this year. One or two members did make enquiries, and we thank them for that, but both met with the same problem, and wouldn't have been able to fulfil all the tasks. So unless anybody comes forward tonight under “Election of Officers“ who can take the post on, we have come up with an arrangement as an alternative way forward. If this is the case, I have included it in AOB.

6. TREASURERS REPORT October 14th 2022

We will carry forward a balance of £ 1821.36 into the next golfing year which is a drop on this stage last year of £ 27.34

The annual subscription returned this year and most of this went on outing subsidies. We didn’t need to spend as much on golf balls with stock carryover from last year. The amount spent on winners medals has greatly reduced so the main outlay is winners wine. We also sometimes benefit from a free place but this is not always clear on booking.

Subsidies were used to keep outings around the £40 to £50 figure to try and make it fair for all. An increase of £5 to£10 in subs would not give us that much benefit as a lot of the supposedly better courses want anywhere between £70 and £100. E.g. If we looked at spending £900 this year on subsidies on three events it would equate to a subsidy of £15 per head if an average of 20 people attend

Most credits are now under control. I don’t mind adding the odd credit, but would in future just like to have a single deposit followed by a final balance for future weekends.

Cheque book payments on the day are generally not accepted which means Ray or myself pay on our cards and claim back from the Society. If neither are available we may have to pay the day before which would probably mean no refunds for a late cancellation. We are also being asked occasionally to pay 7 days in advance.

Many thanks to Ray, Colin, Tim and Steve for all their hard work.

7. HANDICAP SECRETARYS REPORT

Tim gave a brief run down of how many members improved their handicaps during the year and provided a spreadsheet of of competition winners and improvements.

He also provided an example scorecard and how he would like members to fill them in to make his life easier trying to collate the scores.

A copy of the spreadsheet and example scorecard are attached to these minutes.

8. ELECTION OF OFFICERS

Captain: Andy North No nomination required as Vice Captain last year

Vice Captain: Alan Papps (Nominated Colin Staunton-Lambert, Seconded Barrie Smith)

Secretary: Ray Penfold Agreed by all

Treasurer: Graham Pearce Agreed by all

Handicap Secretary: Tim Houghton Agreed by all

Competitions Secretary: Tim Houghton Agreed by all

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

A. New Cavaliers Shirt. Mike opened the discussion about buying a new, lighter weight shirt, for members. He explained that we had had the current red shirt for ten years. He had a sample shirt that was passed around and said the supplier could provide it embroidered for £20 per shirt. It was agreed that the blue sample Mike had would be suitable with white embroidery possibly with a logo. He said he would get a sample printed but it was agreed that we would go ahead with a new shirt which members would have to pay for themselves. Kevin asked about sizes which Mike could ask the supplier about.

B. Extra Summer Trophy for Seniors It was raised as an idea to have a separate summer trophy competition for senior members who would struggle to complete 36 holes. The issue about the feasibility of this was discussed and the seniors present were against the idea. It was therefore decided that the Summer Trophy should remain the same with morning, afternoon and eclectic competitions being played alongside the main event.

C. Changing role for Secretary unless new Secretary found Although Ray said that he would step down as Secretary he has decided to stay on with a reduced workload. He will still book the courses but will not carry out any admin roles. Colin will send out emails advising forthcoming outings and cut off dates and Graham will carry out the financial side. Ray will still advise courses of numbers attending but those wanting to attend will have to advise Colin and Graham by email.

D Raising handicaps This was raised as it has been noticed that 28 handicappers have not won any of the outings in at least the last year. It was suggested that these members would have a better chance of winning if their handicaps were increased. Colin asked how many of the attendance were 28 handicappers and would they want their handicaps higher. Nobody wanted a higher handicap so it was agreed to stay as it is. This would also be discussed at future AGM’s as rules allow.

E How to fill in a scorecard Tim provided copies of a completed scorecard that he asked members to adhere to.

F Buggy for the Secretary As Ray has had some mobility issues over the last years or so it was suggested that the society would pay for him to have a buggy at outings. This suggestion was wholehearted agreed by the members.

G Marking of balls Barrie asked if we could make it a rule that members mark their balls before play. The rules of golf state that you should be able to identify your ball. Although a number of members do mark their balls it was agreed that all members should mark their balls before play commences.

H Link to website Mike asked if Colin could include the link to the website when he sends out update notifications.

There being no other business, the Meeting closed at 20.35.

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society 2022 AGM Minutes