Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Downshire 3 December 2021

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Downshire 3 December 2021

Downshire Golf Club Friday 3 December 2021

by Richard Faulkner

On the basis that I'm not used to writing these (been about nine years I think!) and I've trained my brain to quickly erase rounds of golf, then here's what I can remember from last Friday...

The day started with a good turnout and array of Christmas jumpers (and antlers!), although a bit of concern about how wet and playable the course would be. I went out with a group of recent winners (including Phil and Warwick) and the standard over the first few holes was pretty high, including an excellent tee shot from Warwick on the short par three which got inside Tim's five feet. This continued until a slight blip on the 6th (where I think we managed a single point between all four of us).

The biggest difference in how we scored between us throughout the round was putting, which is usually an area of my game that leaves a lot to be desired! It must be the first time in 25 years of golf where I've holed three 25 feet +  putts in a single round (and only one or two misses inside ten feet). This makes it a lot easier to score three points on holes without having to do anything too special from tee to green. The other difference was playing the same ball until the 16th.

Overall, the course and group played well (including Trev on 22 points who played a lot better than he scored, including a five-pointer on the back nine).

Congratulations to a number of other players who managed over 30 points (which is always good in December!) and I hope everyone has a good Christmas and look forward to playing with you in the new year! 

RESULTS

Winner                Richard Faulkner       39 pts

Runner up          Geoff Jones               34 pts

Third                  Michael Clothier         33 pts

Nearest the pin         Warwick Pearce      3' 9"

Staunton-Lambert Secret Six          Tim Houghton         14pts