Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Downshire Golf Club 6 December 2019

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Downshire Golf Club 6 December 2019

Downshire Golf Club Friday 6 December 2019

by Nigel Jackson

So Christmas has come around again and so too the winter trophy. The Downshire… a course that holds a special place in the Cavaliers hearts.

I think, and am probably right that this is the only course that the winter trophy has been contested at and I have played it too many times that I care to remember, all without much success, so why should today be any different.

Breakfast was the usual good fare and I was out second group, playing today with Steve Faulkner. We had buddied up with Steve Adams and Tim, knowing these guys would raise my game always seeming to play well when we go out (not going to mention previous battles this time boys). Not really feeling up for it today but me and Steve F challenged the other guys to game, best points on the front, back nine and overall.

Anyway off we went and the points started to come easy, 2 pts, 3 pts and even a 4 pointer appeared on my card. Front nine 21pts, Steve 20pts, we were out of sight. The thing is even with that score I wasn’t thinking, I’ve got a chance. The aim I had set myself this year was to get the handicap down to 20 and even though I’d already won 2 events (see previous match reports0 I’d only lost a couple of shots. I was thinking get over 36 pts and you may achieve your aim.

Dodgy drive on the 10th and I thought the dreaded turn and the wheels come off. But the ship was steadied and the points kept coming. The boys were playing steady but I felt the match was ours, just hoped they had plenty of pound coins.

Coming off the 17th counting the points I had 39, not bad. Happy with that, cutting territory. The Winter trophy the one that had alluded me for so many years is this the year?Hitting the 18th green for four, 35 ft from the pin, I’m thinking 2 putts gives you 41 pts. Line the putt up, strike the ball, it feels good, it looks good, it drops. Parred the 18th 3pts. Total 42 pts . Maybe just maybe.

Off to the bar and being out early you’ve got plenty of time to enjoy it. A great Anniversary lunch was enjoyed and let’s hope it continues to be part of the ongoing Downshire tradition.

Prize giving and I’d scraped home by a point just pipping Mr Nower. On the downside or the plus side not sure which I’d been cut. 3.4 strokes down to 18.5. Aim achieved and beyond.

Congratulations to all the other winners and thanks to my playing partners for the encouragement in securing the winter trophy. The one missing major.

Signing off. You probably won’t be reading anymore of my match reports for a while. Thankfully I hear you say, I think I maybe need to get a few shots back before I get lucky again.

See you all hopefully through 2020

RESULTS

Winner:            Nigel Jackson             42 pts

Runner-up:      Steve Nower               41 pts

Third:               Tim Houghton            38 pts

Nearest the pin           Steve Szibrita    7’ 10”

Staunton-Lambert Mystery 6              Terry Harmsworth (S)             15 pts