Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Test Valley 23 March 2022

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Test Valley 23 March 2022

Test Valley Golf Club Wednesday 23 March 2022

by Terry Harmsworth Jnr

It’s been a while since I even got close to having to write one of these reports, so I am surprised to be in this position, especially after my last score at Downshire in December.

The weather forecast was good especially for the time of year, lots of knees on display by the Cavaliers more hardy participants. The morning competition was all about avoiding trouble which I normally do not do, however myself and Alan Papps both played steady golf and we managed to win the morning competition with 7 penalty points between us.

As we walked off the 9th I said to Alan someone will come in with 40 points plus today, as the course and weather were set up for it I felt. Although I had played well in the morning I didn’t think it would be myself.

After a nice meal at lunchtime on the patio we teed off, myself, Alan Papps and Phil Faulkner. I started with a par on the first, I thought I have carried on from this morning. The next hole bought me down to earth as my drive hooked into the trees, I thought that’s more like it, luckily it came out onto the fairway, perhaps it was a sign! The rest of the front nine I played steady without finding any trouble, picking up 2 and 3 points consistently. I ended up pleasantly surprised with 22 points on the front nine

I had read on the golf course website that the back 9 was more difficult than the front 9 so I was expecting it to be more difficult to score. We have all been there with a good score on the front 9 and thinking to ourselves don’t blow up, your in with a chance. My first goal was 30 points and I had said to myself to use my handicap and just pick up my 2 points a hole, which would give me 18 points and 40 overall. I was confident it would give me a chance of being somewhere up there. I managed to hit 40 points on the 17th using my 2 shots on that hole, so anything down the 18th was a bonus. Despite hitting the fairway bunker I managed to scramble 2 points to get to 42 points. It was now a sit and wait game for the other four balls to come in with their scores. Even with a good score you always think someone will better it, but thankfully Tim was next with 38 points.

I can’t forget to mention Barrie’s nearest the pin on the 9th finishing up 7” from the hole. Nearly a round of drinks there Barrie! Well done.

Thanks to Ray for picking Test Valley, only played it once before but it’s one of those courses that gives everyone a chance on every hole to score some points. It also drains well and was really dry for the time of year. Also to Tim for keep coming up with games for the 9 hole competition. Hope to see you all at the next outing before the weekend away.

Stay safe everyone.

RESULTS

Winner              Terry Harmsworth Jnr     42 pts

Runner up         Tim Houghton                38 pts

Third                  Warwick Pearce             37 pts

Nearest the pin           Barrie Smith     7 inches!

Nine holes Trouble     Alan Papps and Terry Harmsworth Jnr           3.5 pts per player