Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Badgemore Park 8 August 2021

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Badgemore Park 8 August 2021

Badgemore Park Golf Club Sunday 8 August 2021

by Stephen Nower

Badgemore Park – Time to rest a few demons!

I have to admit that the last time we visited Badgemore I did not exactly have a great day. I can’t remember my points tally but I do remember hitting a 5 iron straight into the clubhouse on the 16th! So I wasn’t exactly looking forward to the round and when I woke up to heavy rain, the day hadn’t started well.

However by the time we headed to the putting green to get ready to set out the rain had stopped and it looked like the weather might be OK. We did have one problem though as Trevor (the fourth member of group 1) was nowhere to be seen. He had got stuck in traffic but did manage to make it just in the nick of time and it fell to me to get us underway. Fortunately I got a good one away straight down the middle.

My front nine went well and I managed pars on both of the long par 4s, leading to a score of 18 for the nine. The back nine didn’t start well as a managed to find the base of a tree off the tee on the 10th. However the golfing gods were smiling on me and I had a shot out and so salvaged my bogey. Only to then play two good shots to the long par 4 11th and then take four more to get down including a 3 putt.

My back nine then turned around on the 12th where I didn’t get a shot but manged a birdie by nearly holing my second shot and then holing the 3 footer that it left me with. I then also managed a birdie on the 14th after hitting my second to about 10 feet. It has been a while since a scored a birdie, let alone 2 in 3 holes!

Then came the 16th where I had those memories of my ball flying towards the clubhouse. I got a good one away off the tee, leaving a 6 iron in. Fortunately this time there would be no walk of shame into the pro shop as it sailed straight on to the green. The birdie putt lipped out but a good par.

I then managed to hit the 17th green, although to be honest from the tee it looked like it had missed right. I measured it and then thought someone would get inside my effort of just under 30 feet. Two putts gave me another par which left the 18th. Another good drive left a wedge which clipped a tree on its way in so was just off the green. Unfortunately I left the first putt too short and missed the par, but overall a very good back 9 giving me the winning score.

I had to leave early as I had a family meal to go to, so left my card with Nigel and jokingly he said to me which wine would I like? As it turned out I should have told him, but I am very happy with the choice of red, thanks Mike.

I cannot make the event in September so cannot contest the grand prix decider. I hope you all have a great day and all the best to Warwick and Bruce in the race for the grand prix.

RESULTS

Winner:          Stephen Nower                    38 pts

Runner-up:   Trevor Stannett                    34 pts

Third:              Warwick Pearce                   34 pts

Nearest the pin pm            Stephen Nower        29’ 7”