Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Blacknest 22 July 2022

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Blacknest 22 July 2022

Blacknest Golf Club Friday 22 July 2022

by Philip Faulkner

Well.. this has been a been a long time. After a couple of years of lackluster golf, I eventually got back and won something with the Summer Trophy held at Blacknest.

Firstly, thank you to my playing partners for a fun and enjoyable day.  Barrie & Mike in the morning and Barrie (again), John and Terry H (Senior) in the afternoon.   I really appreciated all the encouragement (particularly in the afternoon) when there were a few dodgy moments.

Although my scores were similar for both the morning and afternoon – it was two very different rounds. The morning was super consistent – scoring on every hole and gradually building up the points.  For the first nine holes just trying to hold onto the coat-tails of Barrie ‘One Putt’ Smith who amassed 23 pts over the first 9 holes. Although Mike couldn’t reach his usual heights, he did win the ‘Nearest the Duck’ award when he hit a duck on the 18th, that had decided (not unreasonably) to rest in the middle of the fairway – the duck was fine and walked off looking a bit dazed by the experience. Totaling up the points after the first 18 holes, it came to 38 (way in excess of anything I have done recently) earning a one shot handicap cut in the afternoon.

Whereas the morning had been quite calm and consistent, the afternoon round was anything but – including a number of blobs during the round. This was compensated by some ‘high scoring holes’ including a birdie at the notorious 13th water hole, where a pitching wedge to dry land just on the right-hand fringe was followed a 30 foot putt.  This eclipsed Barrie’s great par 3 from the greenside bunker - although he didn’t complain too much (well he did actually ðŸ˜Š )

It is fair to say that the score was helped by some ‘good fortune’ at times with my ball just getting over the water hazards or stopping short of going out of play. I’m sure the golfing gods will return things to normal next time I play.

By the time I missed a 3ft putt on the 18th for my par, I had somehow got to 37 pts for a combined score of 75  - which was enough to secure the trophy from Steve Faulkner

Many thanks to Tim for the organisation and ‘number crunching’ at the end of play to work out all the competitions – a cynical and probably unsuccessful attempt to prevent a swingeing handicap cut.

I must also mention (because he told me to) that Barrie was ‘nearest the pin’ on the Par 3 fifth in both the morning and afternoon rounds – clearly an argument for the Blacknest committee to consider naming the hole after him. Also well done to Thomas Nower for scooping up all the money in the captain’s competition and Tim for winning the longest drive. Also, a big thank you to Ray for booking the Summer trophy on the Friday and not last Tuesday in 40C heat

RESULTS

Winner           Philip Faulkner                    75 pts

Runner up     Steve Faulkner                     69 pts

Third               Barrie Smith                        66 pts

Morning stableford            Philip Faulkner

Afternoon stableford         Philip Faulkner

Eclectic winner                   Philip Faulkner

Nearest the pin                   Barrie Smith              13’ 7”

Longest drive                      Tim Houghton

Mystery eight                      Thomas Nower