Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Downshire 2 December 2022

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Downshire 2 December 2022

Downshire Golf Club Friday 2 December 2022

by Bruce Riddington

The 23 of us met at Downshire resplendent in our Xmas jumpers for a roll up start. Always pleased to get another day’s use out of my jumper with the added incentive of not being penalised 2 penalty points. The weather had turned cold but was at least dry although the going proved to be heavy especially on the back 9.

I was playing with Trevor, Nick and Richard in the 5th group out. I started well with a birdie on the first hole after a good drive and a very fortunate second shot which ended up a couple of feet from the pin. I usually follow up a good hole with a bad one, but managed to play the second well and got a 6 on the par 5 second. On the short 3rd I managed to hit my tee shot to within a foot of the pin and to putt out for a second birdie, happy days. That was the best of it as i suspected it might be but the rest was fairly steady. Frustratingly I failed to score on a couple of holes, particularly the 5th where I managed to salvage a poor tee shot with my 3rd to what I thought was the edge of the green only to be unable to find my ball. This ended up being a bit of a theme of the day as each of my playing partners suffered a similar fate, and realised I was fortunate it only happened to me the once.

The par 3’s were good to me having birdied the first one I managed a par on each of the others including the 17th, I then managed to finish with a 6 on the 18th with 34points and what felt like half the course on my trolley and shoes.

Thanks to my playing partners for their company and congrats to Terry for winning the Staunton-Lambert mystery 6, Graham winning the nearest the pin and Nigel winning the singles title.

RESULTS

Winner           Bruce Riddington                 34 pts

Runner up     Terry Harmsworth (Jnr)       29 pts

Third               Graham Pearce                     27 pts

Nearest the pin                   Graham Pearce        24’

Staunton-Lambert Secret Six                 Terry Harmsworth (Jnr)       17 pts