Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Downshire 4 December 2020

Bracknell Cavaliers Golf Society Downshire 4 December 2020

Downshire Golf Club Friday 4 December 2020

by Stephen Nower 

Downshire Christmas Competition

After my last outing at Badgemore park I have to be honest and say I wasn’t exactly looking forward to the Downshire. My golf at Badgemore had been pretty bad and was topped off by hitting a ball straight into the clubhouse on the 16th. Fortunately no damage other than to my golfing pride when I had to go int the pro shop to report it.

When Ray sent out the invitation to play at the Downshire, informing us that because of the current restrictions could we please let him know if we were still planning to play I have to admit I very nearly said no given Badgemore. We even had the chance to duck out quite late and looking at the weather forecast earlier in the week I again nearly said no. But decided what is the worst that can happen I get wet and surely it can’t be worse than last time.

Then as I drove into the Downshire I glanced a quick look to my right (as I always do) and saw what I can only describe as a new water hazard on the fairway of the 13th and did think again was this really a good idea!

However after a coffee and bacon roll I went out in the first group and hit the first tee shot. It went sailing down the middle and I thought that’s pretty good, should only have about a 7 or 8 iron in from there. However when I reached my ball it became clear the course was playing long! I still had a 5 iron to go on a hole I usually play as a drive and a short iron.

I guess I then got my first clue that perhaps today was going to go a bit better than Badgemore as I managed to get up and down from off the back for a bogey, holing a putt of about 8 feet. For those of you that know my game putting is not usually the best, so it was good to get one in early.

Then to be honest getting up and down was the story of my round. I managed it on the next 2 holes for pars, and looking back I had only 29 putts which mostly consisted of pitches form just off the green and holing anything from a 2 to a 6 foot putt. Very unlike me!

The course was very wet and muddy, but I guess in December when it had chucked it down the whole day before that was to be expected. I actually felt that apart from the mud, the course had benefitted from a month of no players on it As for the 13th……….the ground staff decided it was too wet and so made it a par 3 instead. Walking up the “fairway” to get to the new “tee box” (well actually 2 pallets with a mat on top) I was very glad they had, it was very wet.

I did miss the usual cooked breakfast and chat, I missed the chance to potentially play the twelve days of Christmas game, I missed having food and a few beers afterwards, but as we keep hearing this is not a normal year.

Let’s hope that very soon we can be back to something like normal where we can do our “normal” thing and I can get back to missing those 3 footers!!

Happy Christmas everyone!

RESULTS

Winner:            Stephen Nower                      38 pts

Runner-up:      Phil Parsons                           35 pts

Third:               Bruce Riddington                   34 pts

Nearest the pin          Jamie Harding       13' 8"

Staunton-Lambert Mystery 6              Stephen Nower             13 pts