Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

ICE SIGNS / Village Green

Below is the content of an email from Hampshire County Council in response to questions about the Ice Signs from the Parish Council:

" You may be aware from your local County Councillor that Hampshire Highways has recently undergone a small restructure. The existing ‘4 area’ management teams have been merged to create two teams, creatively called North and South. Nether Wallop now falls within the North area of the county. I manage a team of Assistant Highway Engineers covering an area of the Test Valley Borough including Nether Wallop.

I have been forwarded your email from our Safer Places team in reference to the newly installed ICE warning signs at the ford in Nether Wallop. I apologise for the delay in responding to you. Answers to your initial questions can be found below in bold.

When was the decision made to erect the signs?

The decision to install Ice warning signs was made following a life changing incident suffered on Ice at a Ford in Hampshire earlier this year.

Why were the parish council not informed and given the opportunity to comment? (This is land that the council manage)

I apologise that the warning signs have been erected on Parish Council land without your consent. This was a mistake on our part. I have visited Nether Wallop myself and will arrange for the signs to be moved to areas which form part of the public highway. Unfortunately as part of my inspection it was noted that the legal signage requirements for the Ford are not currently being met. In line with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD) 2016 a number of signs are legally required to be displayed at all Fords. I will have these signs installed as part of the order to move the ICE signs. I attach a location plan and information showing exactly  what will be ordered and there positions for your information. I realise that signage is not popular with all rural residents but these are a legal requirement so I have no choice but to install them. I have kept the number to the required legal minimum.

What consideration was given to the design of the signs in terms of compliance with the Wallops Village Design Statement Street Furniture Guidelines stating that signs must be in keeping with the character of the villages?

Unfortunately these signs are prescribed in the TSRGD. As they are hazard warning signs legally required the design of them is fixed.

What consideration was given to the placement of the signs? The one in photo 5 is 2.5m from the tarmac and therefore it is questionable whether it is sited on land owned or managed by the Highways Authority.

As per my answer to question 2, these signs were incorrectly placed by our contractor without specific consultation with Hampshire Highways. These will be moved as soon as possible to a suitable area within the public highway. I can only apologise for the trouble this may have caused you.

What report / survey has given rise for the need for the signs? (please forward us a copy) as to our knowledge, ice does not form in the area between the signs any more than any other area of the village. It is also not on a slope.

As mentioned above, the decision was taken corporately following a life changing incident involving ice near a ford earlier this year. An instruction was given to install ICE signs at all fords within Hampshire which are on the public highway. In the interests of consistency I do not plan to make any alterations to this particular Ford. As I’m sure you are aware, ice forms in the colder winter months and with water being tracked by vehicles for some length here this is a distinct possibility here.

If the area between the two signs is so hazardous, why is there no salt bin in the location?

Whilst I am unable to comment on the specific history regarding salt bins here, I can only assume that either a salt bin hasn’t been requested here or if it has, that the area doesn’t meet the current criteria for salt bins. I would be happy should the Parish Council wish to have a salt bin here for you to apply using the following link and I will arrange for it to be assessed against the criteria.

https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/roadmaintenance/severeweather/salting

If you would like to discuss this further feel free to contact quoting the reference number above.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Beasant 

Principal Engineer (North)